Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My eyes are still burning

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xyllion, Jul 8, 2004.

1. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I saw two things that made me queasy today:

1. A wierd orange Bongo
    2. A cherry burst Alembic Essence

Now, I know there are bunch of you guys that love Bongos out there, but this thing just made me sick. The shape and the color were unbearable.

I love Alembic basses. So why didn't I snap up this Essence for $800? The cherry burst finish did not look good on that body style in the least bit. I loved the cherry burst on the 55-01 that I had, but I did not like it on the Essence that I saw today.

Ok, boys and girls. What color and bass combinations can you absolutely not stand?

2. I saw a Fender P that was some lighter shade of blue/green in the GC, the other day, that had a red tort pickguard on it. It made me have feelings similar to those you experienced.

3. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    lame, cheezy 80's black w/red crackle. Substitute any color. :D :spit:

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I played a Dolphin yesterday that had a glossy Turquoise finish. The color made me want to gag, but the rest of the bass made up for it.

Guess there's no accounting for taste.

5. Well, if you don't count the cheesy '80's finishes ("gorefest" or "crackle", anyone?), I have a real aversion to most "custom color" (LPB, CAR, etc.) Fenders a tortie pickguard. Not sure why--I like the colors well enough, and tortie guards too, but not together. OTOH, I used to hate Olympic white with a tortie guard and now it's really grown on me, so tastes definately change.

Mike

6. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I don't like Red basses with Tort guards.

7. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Me either, now that you mention it. The only colors I like tort guards on are variations of white.

8. AndersonCouncil

AndersonCouncil

Jul 5, 2004
    dark pink with a white pickguard, i think it was a fender jazz

9. White, natural, and 'burst for me, thanks.

Mike

10. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    And black!

11. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Don't like white basses, unless it's aged to a sickly off-white (dunno why!) Not a huge fan of tort pickguards either.

Also basses with cheeseball '80s Jackson-style body graphics... ugh. You know, fire and skulls and stuff. Makes me want to take the pointy headstock that these basses inevitably come with and poke my eyes out with it. ;)

12. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    No.

13. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I don't understand. It wasn't a stock Bongo? There was something weird and/or ugly about it? Had it been defaced or modified in some way that cause it to be unattractive?

Someone clear this up for me.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

[​IMG]

15. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    :D

16. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I agree.

Though now that I think about it, I do like the look of Chris Chaney's blue P-bass with tort pickguard.

17. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

It was probably the desert orange color they come in (which I happen to love). If I ever break down and get another Bongo, it will be a fiver in desert orange.

18. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    My favorite bass color is white. My most hated is those puke pastel colors Fender keeps coming out with. Yuck! :spit:

19. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Sorry Jack, this thread wasn't intended for the good taste impaired. :smug:

20. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I'm just trying to understand what a weird Bongo looks like, Bob. I'm absolutely stumped.

[​IMG]

Now here's a NORMAL Desert Gold Bongo. You're saying that something was wrong with the one you saw? What a shame.

Help me, Bob. I just want to understand.

(You knew I wouldn't let it go, didn't you?)