Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My F-1X has static

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rick1906, Mar 5, 2006.

1. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    My Alembic F-1X preamp has this annoying intermittent static noise. It's not a hiss or hum but static. What could be causing it? Is it a bad tube maybe? BTW, I bought it in November 2005 brand new.

2. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
  3. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Try cleaning the effects loop send and return jacks. I had this problem quite frequently with mine and that was the fix that Alembic recommended.

4. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    How do I do that? Do I need to take the cover off?

5. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    You can just repeatedly insert and remove a cable into the jacks a dozen or so times each. At least that has always been the basic recommendation. There was another. more complicated process involving taking the cover off and directly cleaning the inside of the jacks. Again, it's documented on the Alembic website.

6. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD

This is correct. You can also use Deoxit D5 and a small toothbrush in addition to working the jack by repeatedly inserting a 1/4 inch plug. What I finally did was after cleaning with D5,I would spray it with Progold and that would give me a longer interval before having to repeat the process.