Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my fafner's dead..please help.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Starrchild, May 23, 2002.

1. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Ram or anyone who's familier with ebs fafner amp
    please help me out here.
    simply put it wont fire up,what could it be?
    tubes..fuses...etc.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Did you check the fuse? That's the first thing to check, next to checking if the power cord is plugged in :D

3. Yeah, I think this would be the order:

1. Check that the power cord is in all the way.
    2. Check that the fuse isn't blown.
    3. Make sure that the tube is in all the way.
    4. Open it up and make sure that any solderless plugs haven't become unseated. That used to be a problem with my WT-300, when I'd change the tube.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The Fafner works even if the tube is blown. So its not that.

5. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Right now i'm trying to find to proper fuses for it,
    with is 250v 10amp,no luck so far.:(

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    A 10 amp fuse you may need. I don't think that you need a 250v one though if you're in California.

7. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    10 amp is correct,now if i could only find some.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, that's not entirely true. That's what I thought, but the tube in mine was shattered during shipping. Thus, when I received it, it didn't work. I shipped it back to have it fixed, and a new tube was all it needed. Now, it's perfect;)

It was explained to me that the only way the Fafner can work is if the tube is not damaged or fried. Thus, I'd look at replacing the tube, and pay close attention to things like the power cord.

9. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Alright. Did not know that. I have read in a review somewhere that it would work without a tube. But Im probably wrong and I dont have first hand experience. So check the tube to be sure.:)

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, the thinking behind your thoughts is probably not that far off. The cool thing about the Fafner is that fact that although it's a true solid state pre and power amp, there is a tube placed in the signal path BETWEEN the pre and power amps. That's designed to allow the user to dial in as little or as much tube warmth as desired. The user can, in fact, dial in ZERO tube warmth, leaving the tone completely solid state.

This is probably where the thinking that the tube isn't necessary comes from. In the last example, since the tube does NOT affect the tone, you'd think the tube isn't necessary to make the amp work.

Unfortunately, that's not true. The guy who sold it to me, Rawn Randall from r2musical, told me that even he didn't know that the tube was required for operation until my tube shattered. And, he's been the US rep for several years (except when Matthews and Ryan were doing so until last year).

It is, IMO, a really cool feature to have that adjustable tube section.:cool:

11. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Damn, dude... every time I look down the list on this forum I think someone's old man passed away...

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's what I thought too;)

This may seem silly but the first thing to check is the AC outlet.

13. I thought his dad died too. Jeez.

14. Yeah everytime I see this, I think his dad died too... hmmm crazy.