Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My false alarm (aka, the downside of shopping at Goodwill)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Aug 1, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I can't resist a bargain.

I thought I'd get that out of the way first. Knowing that one trait about me can explain why I do a lot of things. Some people say I'm "a cheap bastard", but I like my explanation better. I have found a lot of interesting things at Goodwill (a store that sells second hand goods, for those who don't know), including a Rainstick, one "Pocket" Simon game in perfect working order (Remember those, the ones with lights which play a pattern you're supposed to repeat?) and my piano (an old 1920s Andrew Kohler converted player piano ).

Anyway, On my latest trip to Goodwill yelded some pretty nice finds: a Michael Hedges Cassette (Manring on bass) and a "Far Side" cup. Each item cost 99 cents.

I went to the checkout, where the attendand started ringing me up. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye I saw something leaning against the wall that looked like AN OLD JAZZ BASS!!! It had a sunburst body, cream-colored pickups, a black pickguard, block inlays and seemed to have been converted to fretless, although it was hard to tell from the distance. It was leaning against a wall, Its headstock hidden by clothes on a hanger.

I asked if the bass was for sale. The attendant said yes. I was starting to get excited, praying that I was living every bass player's wet dream. I asked the attendant if I could take a look at it. The attendand went to pick it up. He said the bass was $44.50. My heart was in my mouth. The attendant picked up the bass, its headstock came into view. It said...

...nothing.

It was an old knockoff, with three chrome tuners and a black one. the pickup polepieces were recessed into the body, making the pickup covers look like an old toothless mouth. the neck had been defretted, and the job seemed to have been half decent, although it didn't seem to have been played much in its fretless state, as the neck had very little wear. The neckplate on the back was as informative as the headstock. I was so disappointed I didn't even try to play it. I gave it back to the attendant and paid for my cassette and mug and left, feeling a little sad. Someday...

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I buy most of my clothes now at Goodwill, and they are nice. If you are frugal and save money by shopping in such a way, then it means you'll have more money in the bank for the really *important* stuff.... like a decent bass!
    - Mike

3. I love Goodwill. My best bargain was a silk 3 piece pin stripe suit for $8!!!!

For instruments, I've found my best deals at flea markets. I think I'll start collecting plastic ukeleles next.

I'm not cheap, I'm a purveyor of fine junk.

4. Damn BW you almost picked up a "Nothing Jazz Bass" goto gbase or ebay man, they are worth more than a Fender.

I feel your pain, I just moved and went to GW to get some furniture and the one near me now only sells clothing.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I probably would have bought it anyway.

6. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I have five basses already. I'd rather save the $44 for something I actually need.

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have 19 basses already; 20 if you count my bass pedals. I'm not saying you should have bought it. I'm saying... knowing me, I would have bought it.

8. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yikes! Are you ready to admit your bass-coholism?:eek:

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

DAV is where I go for meat, dairy, and produce.

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Isn't that the first step to recovery? If so... no way!

11. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    lets just hope it wasnt a fender that has had a paint job! That happend to a friend of mine that bought a bass from a junk store that said nothing on it! He took it home and took the neck off to take a good look at it and guess what it said there! FENDER!

12. BassBaron

BassBaron

Jul 20, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    I picked up a pair of Bose 901's (speakers intact) and a 200w NAD amp at Goodwill for 60 bucks! If you search long enough, you'll be rewarded.

13. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Wow, even if it didn't play for squat, for 45 bucks, I'd have taken it home.

If nothing else, you could cover it with macaroni and glitter and glue and make it into a clock : )

14. $44 bucks? Damn... For me, that would be a great bass to tune weird or smash or some crazy s*** like that! You should've played it,at least IMO. What if it played and sounded like a dream? I've played many a bass that I've never heard of that sent me into a musical nirvana, if you will. I say go back and pick it up!

15. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I take a lot of trips up the western coast to really small towns, (Ft. Bragg, CA, Newport, OR, Geyserville, CA), and the first thing I do is check out the local pawn shops. I haven't found anything of yet, although this one guy tried to sell me a Cremona DB, talking about "how great Chinese DBs are." But, one day, I will find something great. You just never know.

Garage sales and swap meets are great places for this too!