Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my family :) (finally i have pics!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by affro, Jun 3, 2004.

1. heres my family (of three at the moment)

1.) brand spankin new mm stingray5 :hyper:
    just came. ive waited ages to get it sent all the way down here. i know its no spiffo colour but i could only just afford the bass let alone the extra for nice colours. still sounds the same ;)
    ive hardly put i down since i got it :bassist:

2.) olp spector 5 string
    sold my old yammy to get this. plays awsome and has great punch for a passive bass. my backup :cool:

sorry about in dodgy pics. enjoy :ninja:

2. 3.) my first bass
    a j&d luthiers 4string trb ripoff. plays ok sounds not so good but its pretty cool. lots of battlescars :rolleyes:

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool, thanks for sharing :)

4. DaRt

DaRt

Apr 28, 2004
    Bangkok,Thailand
    i have a (olp mm2) right now, got a music man stringray & im planning on buying a (olp spector 4 string) is it any good?
    cause i really like how it looks and the sound i tried it at the shop and really want it!!!

5. the olp is awsome or the money.
    they are miles ahead of things like the rockbass by warick. imho the olp spectors are a lot better then the mm olp's also. when i first plugged it in i thought it was probably active, so that gives you an idea on the sound. (emgs :cool: ). the tone knob provides good variation although it can get a tad harsh if turned up too 'trebly'.The finishes are awsome (the 5 comes in black n blue and the 4 i think comes in red and black?). The hardware is solid and construction very good also. the b string is nice n tight (compared to similar priced yamahas, etc)
    only fault i found was that they dont seem to come consistently set up well from the factory (all though i live a long way from the factory...things could have happened in transit etc). when i went to try mine out there was a black 5 and a blue one. the black one had a lot more fret buzz. the blue one (mine) was a lot better, which suited me cause i much rather the blue colour :p . the black one could be easily fixed by getting it set up (or maybe even doing it yourself if you are good at that sort of thing-i dont trust myself except with the 4 string) but yeah i wouldnt really mail order one or anything i think its best you try b4 u buy. oh, and i would also change the strings, but i think most ppl do that anyway. i would go for it if your have the money and you liked the one you tried. hope that helped.

6. DaRt

DaRt

Apr 28, 2004
    Bangkok,Thailand
    thanks for telling me that, and olp is good and the price is reasonable, yep i know the olp spector is better but the olp mm2 was the first guitar i started off with and i kinda like it, but when i get my olp spector i think i would like that more!! just thinking ahead!! well thanks for that, and i think i will change the string i will see!! thanks
    keep on rockin with OLP

7. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    What kind of "yammy" did you have before, the one you sold?

P.S. nice basses. My first teacher had a black Stingray 5.

8. oh my yammy was an rbx755A 5 string natural finish.

p.s-nice choice of career im 1st year engi at tas uni :)

9. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Sweet! I'm currently in 3rd year. Man I wish it was still first year. It was so easy. Freaken exams coming up. Signal processing assignment due, had a telecommunications networks test today. Bummed it. But yeah. GO ELECTRICAL!!!

I have a yamaha TRB4 and a TRB6-P on it's way incase you were interested, but then, you probably alraedy know that!

10. yeah i have my exams too. chem and maths r easy, so is cadd but the other one (proffesion & industry) is b-a-d bad. no good. for sure i will go electrical i wanna make my owns toys :bassist: lol. nice choice with the yammys i tried a fretless trb one time i almost melted. i like your preamp too ;)

11. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    You mean you like my Ampeg SVP? So do I, but it can be a tad noisy at times. Which is why I am designing (design complete as we speak) and building a prototype in the holidays. Nice simple clean tube pre with a few extras. Kinda Alembic F-2Bish, but with a few more bells and whistles and way more flexibilty. But to keep this post relelvant, Yamahas rule. My girlfriend has a yamaha aswell. That's right people. My girlfriend plays bass aswell!

12. :bag: bump :ninja: