Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My fav drummer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JDBJJJP, Sep 8, 2000.

1. JDBJJJP

JDBJJJP

Mar 3, 2000
    does anyone out there really like Bonham. John Bonham of Led Zepplin is my favorite drummer. His sound is enourmous, and his groove is so heavy. He used those really big ludwig drums and his licks were semi complicated for the time but totally solid. I just love listening to him groove. He is a large portion of the reason why Zepplin one has been an everyday listen form two years for me. He ain't Dennis Chambers but i love em! If you have something to add post it

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Favorite Drummers:

Tony Williams
    Zigaboo Modeliste
    Max Roach

In that order.

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    In alphabetical order (a partial list):

Carter Beauford
    Tom Brechtlein
    Bill Bruford
    Dennis Chambers
    Vinnie Coliauta
    Manu Katche' (sp?)
    Neil Peart
    Chad Wackerman
    Dave Weckl

...and jazzbo, yeah, Zig's a bad mofo :D

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Gard, be jealous.

Zig lives in Berkeley (the same town I live in) and plays local bars and clubs almost weekly. I can't believe how lucky I am to be able to see Zig every week for $5 - $10. Zig is the man. I also saw him sit in at a Harry Connick, Jr. concert, and with the Funky Meters when they came around here. If you're ever in SF, look for Zig, he's here.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm a Tony & Elvin fan...

I do like Dennis Chambers, Coliauta, Wackerman, Stubblefield, Zigaboo, "El Negro", Mike Clark, Billy Drummond, Jo Jo Mayer, Gene Lake, etc.

Couple years ago, Billy Kilson entered the picture(check out Dave Holland's PRIME DIRECTIVE).
    Last year, I got turned onto Hamid Drake(William Parker's PAINTER's SPRING).
    LAST MONTH...I stumble upon Cornell Rochester(by total chance, I picked up a cd by the Music Revelation Ensemble called IN THE NAME OF...). It's a Blood Ulmer project; in other words, it's in a Free Rock-Funk/Acid Jazz vibe. Anyway, Rochester is baaaddddd!

6. ~Loxley~

~Loxley~ Guest

Apr 9, 2000
    My favorite drummer is the drummer in my band, Frigge (his real name is Frederik).

But of the slightly more famous ones I'll go with Lars Ulrich. He's very unpredictable and I like that.

~Loxley~ (I'm a guy ;))

7. When the Levee Breaks has to be one of the most sampled drum beats in rap/hip-hop.I've heard the Beastie Boys sample The Ocean.If you love groove,who doesn't sample Bonham.Whenever I audition a drummer,I ask them about Bonham.Sometimes I'll play Heartbreaker just to see how the prospective drummer locks in with me.If I were to give advice to new bass players,I'd recommend listening to Mowtown,P-Funk and Zep.Can't forget the Groove!!
    Willie

8. JDBJJJP

JDBJJJP

Mar 3, 2000
    The other thing that i like about him is tat he had so much power. I mean listening to his bass drum just knocks me out. And when that guy hit a snare he realy hit a snare. I never noticed it before but he plays sort of unusual things on 'good times bad times'(i think it is). During the verse he doesn't play te ride. It is a slightly agular lick. BTW i could be speaking of the wrong song on zep 1, but i think that is it.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bonham was "unusual" like that 'cause he was unschooled(totally by "FEEL"?); he did make do with the resources he possessed, though.

10. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Bonzo is my alltime fav but there are a couple more that get a mention.
    Will Calhoun
    Tommy Aldrige
    Cozy Powell
    Carmine & Vinnie Appice
    Bill Ward

11. RPlaysBass

RPlaysBass

Jul 13, 2000
    I don't really have a favorite drummer but I do like Matt Cameron of Pearl Jam, Lars Ulrich, and Dave Grhal.

12. How about Tommy Lee? Have you ever seen his solos? He does a magic show while he's soloing. You don't want to see where he pulls the rabbit out of, though. It's incredible, though. The only drum (long)solo besides Neil Peart that didn't bore the hell out of me. <p>
    My drummer dragged me off to his drum competition at GC. OH man, If the drums weren't so loud I would have fallen asleep. Snoresville. He embarrased me by losing, too. My drummer is a loser! I told him he would lose, too, with all the jazz drummers there. He thought his furious double-kick would hack it. Ha!<p>
    Bonham, Peart, and Phil Rudd also top my list. (Who doesn't love AC/DC's groove?)

13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Buddy Rich! Nobody has said Buddy Rich yet. In my mind he was the most talented drummer ever. I also like Carter Beauford (Dave Mathews) and Joseph "Zig" Modeliste (The Meters).

14. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Ginger Baker....He is STILL the most musical drummer I have ever heard.
    For a rock solid drummer...I'd also take Kenny Aronoff.

15. Phil Collins is definately my favourite drummer. Especially his early work with Genesis in the early '70's, although he even plays exceptionally well on the newer "pop" Genesis material. He has such great feel and a real "attitude" to his playing that nobody else has. His dexterity with the cymbals is quite something.

My second favourite, although quite different in style, is Alan White of Yes. Everyone always talks about Bruford as being the man, but I prefer Alan's playing by a landslide. He has a lot of emotion in his playing.

16. SBX1

SBX1

Apr 7, 2000
    My favorite drummer is the the drummer of my band, 'cause beyond play with me, he introduce me many nice girls!

17. Mine was, and still is, the late, great, KEITH MOON!!!

I miss you my friend.

18. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    in no order:

nicko
    anders johansson (malmsteen)
    bill bruford
    mikkey dee
    billy cobham
    bozzio
    mark zonder (the early years)
    rat skates
    steve zimmerman
    brian downey
    charlie watts
    louie bellson
    deen castronovo
    bobby jarzombek

19. I have to throw in someone that nobody's mentioned yet.. J.D. Blair, who plays with Victor Wooten and also has played with Lyle Lovett. They don't call this guy "The Groove Regulator" for nothing. Funkiest, tightest, most creative drummer I've ever heard.
    Other favorites of mine are Neil Peart, Carter Beauford, Tre Cool from Green Day, George Hurley from the Minutemen and fIREHOSE.. but my ultimate favorite drummer will be whoever winds up being the next drummer in my band! Dude, where are you, we got gigs to play!?!

20. JDBJJJP

JDBJJJP

Mar 3, 2000
    It is funny how this board works. Because the thought of the writer of the original gets left in the dust all the time. I guess it is because we are not really having a conversation there for the meaing gets dilluted. The reason that i wrote this post was because Zep is one i my favrite bands, and as a bass player drummers are a big part of that opinion. I like a lot of the people that you guys are discussing but only like three people said anything about bonham. The message says "if you have something to add" what it should say is "if you have anything to add on JOHN BONHAM". BTW JimK i was referring to a specific song where his lines are "unusual" and i don't think the amount of music schooling he had is really an issue, and what he "made do with" is a lot more that one your average person has. He was a unique, inventive, intelligent natural talent.