1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My favorite Canadian classic rock band

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Old P Bass Guy, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    Maybe my favorite Rock band of all.

Who was yours?

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Crowbar. Hands down... :D

3. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows

Tell me deep purple didn't steal this sound

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

canada first! :D

Root 5 and ProgressiveDoom like this.
  5. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Yes!!! I saw them back in 1975 with Domenic Troiano. (I never got to see Kurt Winter.) Then in '87 Jim Kale's reconstituted version was in Cohasset, Mass. with the Super '70's tour. Caught Burton Cummings last year. Great show. Jeff Jones on bass, in Rush before Geddy. Later Guess Who bassist Bill Wallace is an under appreciated musician.

Old P Bass Guy likes this.
    GrapeBass likes this.
  7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    It’s bedtime for me. I’ll grt back to this tomorrow.

There is fertile ground to share.

8. fo-string

fo-string

Nov 27, 2016
    Arizona
    I took a drive across the US with my folks in '82, and my Walkman was either blaring Journey's Escape, Billy Squier's Don't Say No, or tunes from the first and second album of these gents.

Richland123, Root 5, LordRyan and 7 others like this.
  9. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  10. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    I dig Blue Rodeo.

duff beer, Root 5, wmhill and 8 others like this.
  11. At the risk of being Mr. Obvious:

GregC, petrus61, Root 5 and 10 others like this.
  12. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!

13. LordRyan

LordRyan

Dec 9, 2012
    NJ
    I love The Guess Who but there is another Canadian band I've been fanatical about since I first heard them. The Collectors released two albums on Warner Brothers Records in the late 60's produced by the late, great producer/engineer Dave Hassinger (look up his amazing list of credits). Prior to their two albums The Collectors released nearly an album's worth of singles. They were also commissioned to write music for the Canadian Pavilion at the Japan World's Fair 1970. The Collectors had a unique sound featuring strong harmony vocals and great music composition.

A live performance from Playboy After Dark in 1968:

Extended 25+ minute performance on the CBC "Where It's At" TV show.

Early singles:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    SoulReflection likes this.

14. I was in the audience for this one.

andruca, mikewalker, basey and 3 others like this.
  15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Not necessarily classic but certainly iconic...even says so on their website. Bonus points as they bassist used what I believe to be a Lado headless.

Riis

Kevnn4, NOVAX, DirtyDuke and 3 others like this.
  16. There are many! Rush, Trooper, Max Webster, Doug and the Slugs - the list goes on. Here are a couple I like.

- Go for a Soda - Kim Mitchell. After Max Webster split-up, Kim went on solo venture. This is a cool vid!
    And an East coast treat - Cape Breton's own Matt Minglewood doing his cover of Can't You See (Leaving Kansas) by The Marshall Tucker Band. If you don't care for a long, talking intro (it does tell a story leading up to the song) you can skip ahead to 2:56. One thing you learn about some of us East Coasters - we'll get there but we like to take the scenic route ;) Speaking of which, the video has lots of pictures of the area, very nice.

17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I don't have one favorite, so many great bands from Canada, Bachman Turner Overdrive, The Guess Who, April Wine, Triumph, Bryan Adams, Rush, Bare Naked Ladies, Nickelback, Steppenwolf, Loverboy, Finger 11, Honeymoon Suite, The Stampeders.

18. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    I've always liked this song by Chilliwack.

19. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    ^^^Ha!

They're not my favorite by a long shot, but whenever someone mentions Canadian rock bands I fondly recall the first concert I went to after I'd moved out of my parents house at age 17. I was reveling in my newly-achieved independence and ability-to-do-whatever-I-want-ness, so I saw a concert was happening nearby and said "Imma go!" ...and I didn't even care who the act was.

Turned out to be Chilliwack:

Richland123, Root 5, LordRyan and 3 others like this.