1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Favorite Cover so Far

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mellowinman, Feb 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Better than Five Man Electrical Band

2. Better than Tesla

3. Better than any other cover of this song

4. Sucks. I hate mellowman and his stupid videos because I'm a jealous something or other

5. Reeks faintly of carrot juice...

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    This is a video I have had in my head for most of my life. Finally made it, and it's exactly what I want.

JRA and Oddly like this.
  2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    OMG.

Bob_Ross, fttfbass and petrus61 like this.
  3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    This has nothing to do with your video per se, but is germane to an idea I've had brewing for decades:

Was there ever a moment when you were making that video that you started to doubt your intentions, and wonder if this thing you'd had in your head for most of your life was actually kinda stupid?

I ask because I've had a whole MTV-esque video totally stylized and planned for a cover tune ever since the mid-1980s, and the only thing that's prevented me from producing it is this nagging sense that maybe it's actually not at all cool and in fact is just a really dumb hackneyed idea.

Well, that plus the fact that I can't sing fer dookie.

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Creating is never stupid. I've had plenty of moments when I've doubted myself. I've had a whole lot of help in that area too. A lot of naysayers. But then I ask myself:

WHAT HAVE ANY OF THESE LOSERS DONE????

And that's when it hits me. Let's say it is dumb. Let's say it's the worst video ever made, and it gets put on 1,000 websites as an example of how bad art or entertainment can be. What have you lost?

Your pride? Your dignity? Not me, man.

The only thing they're going to put on your tombstone is how long you lived. The rest will largely be forgotten.

To one viewer, my video is cliched sixties hippie nonsense. My dancing is stupid. My message is trite. My singing is awful.

To a good friend of mine, who has been sick for a long time, and who I make a lot of these videos for, it's the perfect video, the greatest possible performance of the song, and everybody else falls somewhere in between.

The point is I like it. We make art for ourselves, and hope somebody else likes it.

Most times, someone will.

But NOT EVERYONE, dig?

JRA, Oddly and Bob_Ross like this.
  5. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I'm sorry but I can't vote.
    I've never heard the song before...nor had I heard of the Five Man Electrical Band or Tesla.
    I don't really like the song but I do think you made at least as good a go of it as they did...which is pretty damn impressive given your limited resources compared to theirs.

It surely doesn't suck...or reek of carrot juice...although there is perhaps a faint air of cheap wine and lost illusions to it.

Don't ever stop. Please.

JRA and mellowinman like this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i like you, and your stuff...but i especially like your attitude and the fact that it takes cojones to do the things you do! i'm with Oddly on this one: don't stop!

nice job! thanks. :thumbsup:

mellowinman likes this.