MY favorite john paul jones bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bon viesta, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Ok, thanks.

I used to think HOTH was the Jazz, but now you mention the P......

2. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Yeah I agree. As does my ‘68
    ej6b5QZ.jpg

bon viesta and PhR75 like this.
  3. PhR75

PhR75

Oct 20, 2021
    Finland
    Well, the single coil P-bass has plenty of treble attack and Jones also used round wound strings with it (the Jazz had flats). I think he just liked the raunchier sound it gave that way and he definitely used that to a good effect in the studio. Not saying that the Jazz wasn't used that way , "Heartbreaker" is a good example.

bon viesta likes this.
  4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Easy, This one:

5. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    I was at that concert. It was a great day.

bon viesta and PhR75 like this.
  6. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    Tell you a funny story about that concert........
    There was a run on the music stores the following week with guitarists wanting to buy a sunburst Les Paul like Pages, only to find that there was no such thing. The stores were confused and it didn't exist in the catalogues and with no history, no internet and total confusion, this went on until Gibson eventually reintroduced one in the middle 70's a sunburst with unfortunately, those horrible little mini humbuckers.

It was still some time before we learned about those original Gibson Standards back then, where I eventually got to hear one in the flesh so to speak, where my brother who had and still has a 1961 Les Paul with PAF's and we played the 2 versions side by side. Another Great musical day.

PhR75 likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022