1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My favorites are Silver Slaps, will I like Spirocores?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Clarkybass, May 16, 2011.

1. Clarkybass

Clarkybass Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Hi all, I have Silver Slaps on both my DB and my Eminence EUB and love them. I like the woody, plummy tone I can coax from them and especially the low tension (I broke my left hand last year and cannot cope with high tension strings). However, I am installing a mag pickup on my DB, as I need big volume for my 14-piece 'voodoo swamp blues' band and I think this would be a useful fall-back if my piezo is going feedback-crazy. Hence I need a steel-containing string on my DB. There's loads of Spirocore love out there but how would a Silver Slaps player like me get on with Spirocore Weich/softs? Do they share any of the characteristics I like so much in Silver Slaps (low tension, soft feel etc)? Or is there a steel string that would suit me better? As you all know, buying DB strings is an expensive exercise and I don't want to make a costly mistake here! Thanks in advance, Clarky :)

2. donn

donn

Mar 28, 2011
    Seattle
    You might refer to a thread here from a month ago, "Pizz, slap, arco on one string; Superflexible Solos?", for another steel option.

3. Clarkybass

Apr 30, 2010
    Thanks Donn. Just to be clear I do not slap or do arco, just pizz in a blues/New orleans marching band type style- if that makes any difference to the answer(s)?

4. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    I would try what you have in the group. I think you should be able to get pretty freaking loud with the EUB, even if it has a piezo. Any steel is going to be brighter and much stiffer.

5. Clarkybass

Apr 30, 2010
    Thanks JayB, thing is I have a mag pickup on order and paid for! So its useless unless I get some steel strings. I do have some Presto Ultralights which are similar to Silver Slaps and contain steel but I do not like them as much as Silver Slaps. I guess you are telling me that no steel will sound or feel even close to a Silver Slap? In which case I may well as minimise my spending and put the Prestos on my DB.

6. Hi Clarky
    I think the right hand would be the one to bear most of the brunt for high tension strings such as the spirocore. If the string height is on the lowish side they should be pretty easy to cope with and will work well with a magnetic pick up. However before you rush headlong into a decision about the string\ pickup thing you might want to talk to more bass players about their set up and how they cope with a playing in a loud band. What exactly is the line up you are playing against. Does your band have any youtube or myspace recordings to give some idea of what you are up against. Mind you I have no experience of Presto lights so can't comment.

7. ERIC A

ERIC A Supporting Member

Eurosonics Lights would be your best bet.

8. I think Presto Ultra lights are roughly the European equivalent of Eurosonic lights. The OP already has the Presto strings.

9. Clarkybass

Apr 30, 2010
    Thanks Marvin and Eric. Having done some googling and reading up tonight I am coming to the conclusion that maybe Prestos (aka Eurosonics) are my best bet - not as nice as SIlver Slaps but not far off ... and best of all, I don't have to spend anything as I have them already!

10. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yeah - I'm in the same camp - the Prestos/Eurosonics would be your best bet. If you have a newish set and you're not happy with the brightness, they do settle in to sound quite a bit warmer over time. I have an *old* set of Presto Ultralights that I love whenever I put them on.

11. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Seems like you already have the best solution for your issue. One of the main ideas behind the prestos/innos was to have a nylon feeling string that could be mag'ed up, i believe. Unfortunately, what we need from our basses amplified and what we need from our basses acoustically can sometimes be at odds :meh: .

12. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    The various Presto and Eurosonic gauges seem to correspond to each other pretty closely. i.e. Presto lights are the same as Eurosonic lights, Ultralights are the same in both "brand", etc.

Clarky, don't be afraid to try the Lights if those ultras are too loose for you. On a 3/4 size bass the Lights are still quite slappable.