My FBass BN5 in Progress!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GRoberts, Nov 12, 2003.

1. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Had to share some pics of my FBass BN5 under construction. Here is the blank I started with.

Here is the back:

So what do you think? I've decided to go with the Carmelburst coloring like the BN5 that was recently on the BunnyBass Website.

(Psssst Adrian. I already told George about the color switch to Carmelburst from the original planned Honeyburst color and he said no problem. Meant to let you know.)

Birdseye Fingerboard. Mmmmm. Yummy.

I might opt for the Satin Finish Hipshot tuners too. Again, just like the Bunnybass BN5. I'll post the Bunny bass BN5 as a point of reference in another post.

Lastly, I think I've decided to opt for the Master Vol/Blend controls afterall for ease of use.

Would love to hear from everyone~ What do you think? Is this bass going to kill or what?

Drum roll puh-lease! Here is the Top as of this week.
  2. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Here is the BunnyBass with the color I want and the satin chrome Hipshot tuners.

What a flirt huh? LOL

3. WOW !! atsa spicey meatball :D
  4. Deep

May 8, 2002
    That bass is gonna turn out extremely classy.
  5. That quilt is really stunning! I'm sure you're going to love it.

Is that an ash body? It doesn't look like the "traditional" F bass ash. Also, why not go with the full blown electronics package?
  6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    Looks Great!

The blend pot issue is a tuff one. I like the true output from volume, volume but the blend is so much easier to work with. Best of both worlds is volume, volume with a master volume. Problem is all the knobs (the way alembic series I and II use to me).

Tuff call, but a beautiful bass!
  7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    that's going to be hideous!!!!
    John, he is going with the full electronics.
    Unless you are doing a satin bridge, Gary, i would stay with the stock tuners, they are very smooth.
    Man, you will freak when this thing comes to life!! Can't wait for my new one!!
  8. Adrian, when will your new F be ready?

No, I'm not hijacking the thread, I'm just curious...

Oct 28, 2003
    Hey that will be some awesome looking bass man...I see what u mean about Adrian, the guy can flat out play and has some great taste in his weapon of choice...classy guy Adrian is...congrats on your bass...I might be joining u in a custom bass...looking at getting a Bee Bass......fits my budget alot better than those Beautiful F basses...maybe some day, maybe some day!
  10. That is going to be sweet. I love my F bass, though it is a little more plain that what your's will be. Keep us posted, I love the in progress pics.

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I've seen what Adrian's bass is gonna's gonna be crazy! :eek:

I'm actually a bit jealous.
  12. hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    That is a very very cool top. I wish I had a top like that...

I like the two volume configuration, especially for recording but that's just me. I'm sure the pan would work just as well. That is going to rock when it gets done:bassist:
  13. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo
    ..going to be great I think. I was over there yesterday looking over wood for a fretless- I think I saw it actually. All the stuff looked great. I love his bursts generally. I did opt for vol vol ...not 100% sure if it affects the tone or not so I just decided not to screw with it.
  14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    That looks sweet Gary,
  15. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Adrian- You might be right about going with the regular chrome tuners versus the Satin Hipshots. Things that make me go hmmm. Still plenty of time to decide. What does everyone else think? Stick with all chrome tuners, or go with the chrome bridge and Silver Satin Chrome tuners like on the BunnyBass above?

John - Adrian is right. I am going with the "full BN5 electronics." I was simply trying to decide between the dual Volume controls (one for each pickup) versus a Master Volume/Pickup blend configuration.

Brian - Yeah I hear ya and know what you mean. I continue to waver between which Volume configuration to choose. I change my mind on any given day. I want the 'ultimate' tone and that makes me lean toward the dual volume controls. But I am so used to a Master Volume knob on all my basses that I think it may be more intuitive to have the Master Vol/Blend. I don't believe the compromise in tone would be significant either way. Adrian's Burl BN5 sure sounded good. It was a Master Volume/blend. Open to all comments from those who particularly prefer dual volume controls over the Master Vol/Blend?

Zon4John - yeah, the Ash looks a little different than some of george's other basses. It looks darker doesn't it? I did not get to choose the Ash, so I needed to rely on George picking something nice.

Basses55 - You saw my BN5 iIn person! COOL! Wish I could go over to George's shop. One day.

Geoff - I will add more pics as they become available. This is when it's starting to get fun! for what it's worth, your F Bass comments also helped my decision to have this beauty built. Thanks!

16. Congrats on the beginnings of one outstanding looking bass! Color me jealous:mad::p

Side Note: i think it's a little eerie that nearly everyone on TB who owns a roscoe owns/wants a Fbass as well. Myself included:D
  17. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    You guys getting new custom F Basses are killing me. I can't afford to buy any more basses!!

That looks awesome. George has a bunch of pictures of recent basses with customer tops on his website.

Congratulations! I'm sure it will sound and play as good as it looks.

18. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WOW! You already know that it's going to be a killer bass. I wish I could have afforded a nice top too but the Ash grain in mine is pretty wild and I love the color (Blue but in certain light has an Aqua tint). I also have the master volume, lucky for me that was the way Adrian orded it, I can't deal with volume/volume too well.

Adrian - I never did find out what the specs are on your replacement, I must have missed it if you posted something on it.

Fretless5verfan - You are right about the Roscoe/F Bass thing as I own both too.

F Bass pics:
  19. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Here I am again. A few steps closer to Bass Nirvana. These in progress photo's hot off the press! I am officially wetting my pants in anticipation. The basss is going to be STUNNING!

I'm having trouble getting the pics embedded here. See the attachment for now. I just had to share. It would be selfish not to! <grin>

20. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    See the attachment photo for closer look at the stunning Birdseye Maple Fingerboard. Perhaps the prettiest Birdseye board I have ever seen! George is Santa Clause after all isn't he?