Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My FBB fretless 8 string is almost ready...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CopperheadLXXIX, Feb 25, 2004.

1. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Originally I had intended on posting this only after the bass was complete and I had already broken it in a little, but now that I know it's so close to being "there", my normally unhurried self has been temporarily pushed aside:

2. that looks nice! i always was interested in those 8 string basses, but excuse the ignorance, but that is an interesting bridge. what kind is it?
    Charlie

3. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    And here are some specs on the bass:

Short 30" scale
    Figured walnut/wenge/walnut body
    Walnut/jatoba/wenge neck
    Macassar ebony fretboard
    Bart humbuckers
    Bart 3 band eq
    Macassar ebony bridge w/piezo pickup

You can see more photos and such at Matt's website http://eksl.cs.umass.edu/~schmill/fbb/pages/
    It's project bass #1071-03

4. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    It's an acoustic style bridge made out of macassar ebony with a lignum vitae saddle. It was custom built just for my bass by Jack Read. :cool:

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Looks great! My 8 string fretless is one of my two main gigging basses for my jazz band. I had the spacing between the octave and root strings done especially wide so I could easily play each string individually.

With the exception of a 12 string octave fretless, I'd think that an 8 string octave pair fretless is probably one of the more rare bass styles out there. So, welcome to the club. :hyper: :bassist:

Enjoy your new bass!

Here's my monster:
    [​IMG]

6. Oow, this really looks great! :bassist:

I recently bought a vintage Kramer fretless 8-string bass guitar from the beginning of the 80's. I really have to get used to it. :meh:

If you (or anyone) have any tips or tricks in mastering an 8 string - or maybe know locations on the internet where to find good instructions and basslines - they are more than welcome! :D

7. Nice dude! enjoy it and welcome to the club! :cool:

8. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Hey Bassmonkee, I actually saw your bass at the Curbow site awhile back and it was one of the things that got me thinking about my own fretless 8er Matt has now brought to life! I've been meaning to ask you what strings you use and/or find work best on it. My own is going to come with a set of GHS Bass Boomers, which I've never actually tried-I've always been partial to D'Addario's, but GHS is the only company we could find that makes an 8 string set in a medium/short scale.

Lazy B., I'm not sure if there are any real tips to mastering an 8 string...I don't find them much more difficult to play than the average 4 string. The necks are generally much chunkier than a 4 to support the tension of the extra strings and the nut is usually a bit wider to make for proper string spacing, but other than that I would say approach playing it just like you would any other bass. It might be best to start by playing exclusively with a pick, mostly downstrokes. As you get more accustomed to the feel of an 8 string though I think you'll find most other techniques carry over well like fingerstyle and even slapping. And as Bassmonkee already mentioned, it's great when you can start to play lines by actually seperating out the octave and primary strings from each other; you don't necessarily have to strike them in unison.

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    8 strings is for crazy folks!
    :smug:

10. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Yeah, who in their right mind would own a bass like that... :rolleyes:

11. Copperhead: i saw your bass today at Matt's house...the Walnut on that thing looks wicked killer and the finish on it is wicked smooth. I hate to say that i saw it before you(and touched it, but i didnt dare play someone else's new bass before the rightful owner gets to play it ;) ) but the pics you have dont do it justice! you will be very happy with it.

12. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Didn't you do that with mine too, Nick? :cool:

13. Indeed i did! Weird how this is also a 8 string bass. :D

14. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Thank you Nick, because now I won't be able to sleep. :spit:

PS: I thought I was about the only person who still used "wicked" in their daily lexicon.

15. Sorry about that man ;) , and yes, being from new england and with friends/family from the Boston area i have the accent and terminology.

And trust me, living only about a half mile from Matt's is tough...i feel like going down and putting deposit on a bass all the time and having your luthier so close is an excellent bonus.

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

For strings, I've got TI Powerbass strings for the bass strings, and I'm using Ken Smith Piccolo strings for the octave strings. It works for me.

At my original jazz gigs, the 8 has become my main stage bass. I probably play about 60%-70% with only the bass strings, with the octave strings used for embellishments and during solos. I've started adding single not runs that start on the bottom strings and then continue to the octave strings--that's when it starts getting fun. :D

Granted, that's also why it took me about 16 months to play the thing in public. :bassist:

In this little snippet, the run around 0:18 to 0:26 starts on the bottom strings and then moves to the octave strings about halfway through.

http://www.mindspring.com/~jshew2/tunes/solo/8String.mp3

My hand is much happier on a neck that is about as wide as a 5 string neck, as opposed to an aircraft carrier landing strip...

So, enjoy your bass, and make sure you play it however you want. There aren't any rules....

17. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    So up north saying something like "wicked killer" *snickers* isn't abnormal? Maybe I've been stuck in the south too long... :confused:

Anyway, if you're going to tell me you saw and even touched my bass (Your hands better have been clean! :spit: ) then you can at least let me know if Matt is 100% done...he said he was probably going to wire it up today, which I assume would be the last step.

18. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Thanks for posting the clip Bassmonkeee. Wicked indeed. :cool:
    Actually sounds almost sitarish.

19. dont worry bro, my hands were clean(i had to handle my bass too). Your bass still didn't have the controls wired up and he didnt mention when he was going to do it but since he brought it to his house vs. leaving it at the shop i would assume he will do it soon.