1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My fEARful 1212/6/1 from Robby@AoN

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassguy1, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

Feb 10, 2006
    U.S. - Midwest
    Massive sound, crazy light (nidacore composite), good guy to work with. Stongly recommend him. Also had D2F covers make me a custom padded cover for around $90...a very worthwhile investment.

HPIM0916.
    HPIM0913.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Nice! Should have my 15/6 late next week or early the following week. Seems like AoN is in full production mode at this point, which is great!

3. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

Feb 10, 2006
    U.S. - Midwest
    I think you'll love it. My Pbass with flats through the STL900 sounds awesome with this cabinet...it's very tight and focused.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Awesome! I ordered this cab specifically for my Streamliner and P Bass.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Nice! I love seeing those little heads on these cabs. My 15sub/15/6 setup used to look similar with it's LMII sitting on top! When I shot the cab from speaker's eye view, you couldn't tell there was an amp on top! These days I have an SKB 3 space rack on top with an ultralight power amp, and I sorta miss the 'cabs without head' look. :)

I also like Robbie's cabs because they have this burly slightly cartoony look to them with the soft edges and thick side walls.

6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Looking good!

How did Robby attach your grills?

7. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

Feb 10, 2006
    U.S. - Midwest
    Actually it came with a black fabric covered grill that he made from his lightweight composite material. It hid the speakers too much for my taste but I originally requested it that way. No fault of Robby's. I wanted a different look so I purchased a grill from Reliable Hardware and cut and mounted it myself. I prefer the more "transparent" look.

8. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Nice! What's the weight on these?

9. Holliwood

Holliwood

Sep 13, 2011
    Awesome.

burp...GAS...urp.

Keep us posted on how you like it.
    One of these in my future.

10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Huh. Interesting.

I have had issues with my grill vibrating in a not so nice way. You may want to ensure that your grill has lots of clearance between the cab walls. Also, stand-offs placed on the baffle might be a good idea. But then again, if aint broke dont fix it!

11. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

Feb 10, 2006
    U.S. - Midwest
    Lighter then my PJB 8B. I'm guessing between 40-50 lbs. Easily lifts with one arm from the top handle. It also has a tilt back feature with wheels so its super easy to transport.

12. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

Feb 10, 2006
    U.S. - Midwest
    My approach was to glue a 1"x1" black painted wood strip around the inner edge of the cab's perimeter about 1/16" from the outside edge (the thickness of the grill). That measurement allowed plenty of spacing between the grill and speakers. I then covered (glued) the outside edge of the wood strips with heavy black felt (from Michael's Craft store). The felt prevents vibration issues as the metal grill does not touch the bare wood. I then used #8 - 3/4" metal screws into the wood....tight as a drum. I purchased the grill from Reliable Hardware and cut it to fit with my jigsaw. It was about an inch oversize all around. They will custom cut for you but my cab was not perfectly square.

13. PersonalTraynor

PersonalTraynor

Jan 14, 2011
    Lady parts, Canada
    peaveyTraynor freakazoid...
    Congrats on the new P.A. cab!

14. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Wow, that is impressive! My Big Twin T 1212/6/1) is 26 kgs, amazing that they can gert even lighter than that.

15. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

Feb 10, 2006
    U.S. - Midwest
    Update....tried a set of new Fender 7250s (nickel plated steel roundwounds) on my Pbass (replaced TI flats) and the Pbass growl through this cab and STL 900 amp combo is killer. The 1212/6/1 combination helps I'm sure although I have the horn off. I don't think I'll go back to flats anytime soon.

I wonder how a Mesa M6 through this cab would sound.

16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Super bright and upper mid grindy.. Also, much more deep low end extension. Big, aggressive and in your face. Cool for what it is, but too much of a good thing for me. Both the M6 and Streamliner benefit from the tweeter being off with a P with rounds IMO.