My Fender AS Jazz damaged by luthier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by invalidprotocol, Jul 30, 2017.

1. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    I'm very upset today. My 2008 Fender American Standard Jazz has been damaged by my luthier. They didn't tell me and clearly attempted to cover it up.

During a pickup install they apparently punched two of the screws through the back of the bass ever so slightly, enough to dimple the back of the bass. They clearly attempted to buff out that area to minimize the appearance then proceeded to scuff up the majority of the back of the bass to match it. The body is black so of course the swirling shows up as milky white. There is also solder drip damage on the pickguard and the face of the body and brand new strings came back brutally dead.

Did they assume I would forget what my bass looked like before it went in? Strings I can replace, pickguard damage I can overlook but the rest I'm absolutely beside myself. Did I say I was very upset? I'm PO'd they covered it up and I'm even more PO'd they devalued my gear.

2008 was an amazing year for Fender gear and this bass is awesome besides. It is a player but I don't brutalize it and the wear has been very light. I have had no intention of parting and hoped to have something of value 30 years from now.

Next week I'll be heading in to seek remedy for this but I want your opinion before I do. As far as future value goes what is better, refinish of the original body or a replacement Fender USA parts body?

2. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    The best future value would be to sell it as-is. A quality refin will run you 400+. A new body will cost a good bit too and only serve to make it a "parts" bass to the community.

I'd be pissed as well bass brother. The luthier attempted to cover their mistakes like a child would. I hope you get more out of this than a lesson learned, but I wouldn't let that individual near my gear again.

3. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    That's a bunch of crap. I would ask them to buy you a new American Standard Jazz body (which can easily be ordered straight from Fender), but also shame them for not being honest and trying to cover it up by inflicting more damage to try to camouflage it. And of course, never have them work on your gear again.

4. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I think anything you do will improve the resale, but it will never be up to a mint all original bass again. But that would be the case changing the pickups even without damage. Sadly, nothing would make me satisfied.

5. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    I would request that they pay what you feel has been damaged, if its the value of the bass then expect that they will want to keep it if any cash has been exchanged.

Lownote38 likes this.
  6. Off-Beat

Off-Beat

Dec 8, 2014
    Vienna, AUT
    Man that's bad, but how can a pro eff up something like this in the first place?

7. invalidprotocol

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    I suspect it was done by one of his apprentices.

8. Dug2

Dug2

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    have you considered violence?

9. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Did you mention the damage before you left? If not, good luck proving they did it.

10. invalidprotocol

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    There is enough of that in our society today

11. Dug2

Dug2

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    i guess

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  12. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    You love the bass but now it has a few minor issues. IMHO I wouldn't mess with it and I wouldn't go back to that "luthier" again. In 30 years or so you'll hardly remember how that stuff got there and most likely won't care . . . :thumbsup:

Mr. Sound, mje, JaseyT and 2 others like this.
  13. invalidprotocol

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    No I did not inspect the bass. I've brought over many and have never had an issue or needed to babysit their work. They've been nothing but professional up to this point.

14. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... your well written post shows two things ... you think that the bass is awesome and plan on keeping it for the long haul, and you are concerned about it being devalued, both now and 30 years from now ...

With those two scenarios, I would get the dollar value for a replacement/refinish from the 'luthier' (term used loosely in this case), keep the bass as is, continue to enjoy everything that you do about it, and consider your $$ recoup as what may (or may not) ever be seen (as a value increase) in a very distant future... 30 years is a long time, and if continued to be played regularly, it will not look like it does now anyway (both the good and bad) ... everything sounds like cosmetic damage, and the most severe to the back ... with a satisfactory monetary compensation, such a good player bass as you describe only gets better, especially if you don't need to worry about it getting its first battle scars as much ...

Not meaning to be condescending in any way, and with all due respect, but I don't really see a 2008 American Standard as a particularly serious collectable at any future date, even if kept immaculate ... these are like any other tool, meant to be used and enjoyed ... certainly grab your due compensation, then continue to let it put a smile on your face ... life is short ;)

JMHO's .. as always

15. Did the lacquer/paint crack (hole from the screw-top came through)?
    Swirls/scratches can easily buffed out completly with sandpapers up to 12000 grit.
    Any pictures?

16. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    They need to buy you a new bass AND you keep your old one. If they damaged my best bass, I'm not sure I would even be satisfied with a replacement.

spaz21387 and invalidprotocol like this.
  17. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    This is also true. While most instruments seem like they go up in value, they just keep up with inflation. In 2008, a lot of identical basses would have been produced and will be available in decades. The reason the old things like instruments and collectables went up in value was because they were treated as disposable, and only a few are still in existence.

18. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

If you like the sound , and weight of your bass, I would go for a refin. Maybe a good finisher could sand , respray and buff the poly on the back and it will look as good as new?

invalidprotocol likes this.
  19. invalidprotocol

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    You win solution of the day ;)

eban3 likes this.
  20. invalidprotocol

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    Came through the body and paint but not through the lacquer, at least I don't think so. Actually cracked the body just a little.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021