Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My fender hwy 1 makeover!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aragorn35016, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Long story short I have a GL jazz bass that im in love with. I also had this modded hwy1 jazz that had a j retro preamp and custom shop 60's pickups. I decided to make a project bass out of it and so I had it repainted and replaced the neck with a GL neck. This is how it turned out! I wish I could have gotten a better pick but my camera kind of sucks.... Tell me what you think!

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

2. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I think I am the only person on the planet with a GL neck that wouldn't fit any of my other fenders.

Just out of curiosity, what year is your GL from? I tried to put my '98 on a MIM body, but the neck is about 1/8th of an inch too big in all directions.

3. Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Actually I run into a problem where mine wouldnt bolt up. The holes in the neck were just barely off from the body holes. So out of curiosity I took the neck off of my actual Geddy Lee to examine the holes in that body. The holes were actually drilled slightly larger in the GL body, so I just drilled the holes out on my hwy 1 body a little larger and voila problem solved.

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I think it looks cool. How does it play??

5. Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    First off it sounds totally awesome with the j retro and the CS 60's pickups. It plays like a dream as well. I set it up with some d addario pro steels 105-45. It like my complete GL Takes to that guage really well, super low action and as far as I can tell so far no dead spots. I just got it together about 2 hours ago, so im sure after it settles a bit ill have to tweak it alittle but its everything ive ever wanted in a j bass!!

6. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Looks good! I have the same Hwy. 1 except mine has a tort. pickguard and I love it!

7. Wow, it's like Overhaulin'... "No that is the same beast!!!" lol. Looks great, and I'm diggin' the total retro vibe, looks stellar, definately a head turner... I don't think I've ever heard of a GL neckswap before, so, kudos for orginality :D

-ryan-

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Groovy. Love black blocks and binding

Rob

9. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    How much did the refin cost, and where did you get it done? I have been thinking about putting the old body back on my GL, as the MIM that I swapped my GL neck onto isn't working out too well.

10. +1.

Much sexier IMO.

Maple rules :)

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    So what did you do with the leftover stuff?

12. Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Believe it or not im only out about 150 bucks for this job. I sold the neck to within about 10 dollars of what it cost me for the GL neck. It already had the jretro preamp and the cs pickups when I got it. And for the paint. One of the members at my church ownes a body shop and does guitar refins for people on the side and he actually did the refin for free!! I know that kind of gives a shady idea of what the finish looks like but trust me it looks like a factory job. No trash or any orange peel , has a reflection like a mirror. Im gonna try to borrow a better camera today to take some better pics so I can show off the finish.

John

13. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I know it has been said before but I think if the GL was available in other colours it might just become the number one selling bass in its' pricepoint. I have one but everytime I see a bass with block inlays and a different coloured body I think it looks better than black....

14. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Wow that is hot! Awesome job.

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Sweet.

16. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    the only thing I"m not sure if I like or not is the contrast between the tortoise shell pickguard and the black blocks....they kinda throw each other off. maybe a different colored pickguard?

17. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Man, I am jealous!! I wish the Geddy came in colors other then black! Maybe I'll re-paint mine too!!:smug:

18. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    That looks amazing and the specs sound great! Excellent work, Strider.

;)

19. Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    As promised more pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. thats a GL neck?? why does it say fender on the head stock instead of GL then? i can't imangin how good that thing sounds, regular hwy 1's sound amazing

lowsound