Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Fender Reverb is sick

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman314, Apr 22, 2005.

1. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    ANyone out there know vintage effects?

I have a Fender Reverb, blackface era.

When I first go tit, the caps were stock (40+ years old), so they got changed out. I changed out the tubes, and I replaced the 2-pronged power cord with a grounded cord.

This was fine for several months, until recently.

The unit sounds fine in bypass, but when I switch it on (which, honestly now, is all the time), I get a nasty buzz.

If i adjust the Spring Dwell, no change. If I adjust the Tone control, it changes the tone of the buzz. When I adjust the Mix control, it increases in volume as I add more wet signal.

So yeah... I know it's in the reverb circuit itself.

I'm hoping it's not the Power Tube, as it's a 6K6GT, and difficult to find. It might be the 12AT7, or the 12AX7/7025... or it might be something completely different.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences they can help me with?

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    bump *L*

I guess I should clarify what I need.

I'm at a loss at where to start. I don't think it's the tubes.. and I don't think it's anything in the power.. so I'm wondering if there is anyone with vintage electronics experience who's got any ideas...

3. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    i'm not any use with this sort of thing but... maybe you should head over to diyaudio.com , they helped me out with my amp when it was broken.
    they're a great bunch over there.

4. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Start with the cabling in and out of the reverb tank, that's a common failure point on Fender 'verb circuits. Look at the shielding with particularly great suspicion. Failing that, pull the tank itself, and inspect the wiring in and out of the transformers in there.

6K6GT is still obtainable with a little effort. I might have one or two kicking around, actually. I'll PM you if I can find 'em, never a given in my wreck of a workshop.

Oh, yeah: try Ampage or the Fender Discussion Page for more ideas as well.

6. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Well, it seems to be working now.

I unplugged the foot-switch, and I don't have the nasty buzz I had before. Since I use the reverb all the time (just at different levels) this is fine.. and it's one less switch on my pedal board.

I looked at the cables for the spring-pan, and they appeared to be fine. I haven't had a chance to look at the pan itself. This weekend, I'll prolly do that.

7. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    so yeah, I take a look at the innards... NOTHING... all the cables check out... the pan looks fine... the footswitch is fine... I'm perplexed...

I take a look at the 10' monster cable a friend lent me that Ihad been using as a patch cable... yup.. it's a speaker cable... I didn't bother looking before, just cause I assumed it would be an instrument cable. I don't use Monster *L*so I had no idea what to look for. :rollno:

ANYWAY, thank you so much for all your help on this. I will save these posts, just in case something real happens to my verb, I'll have a knowledge base to look back on! :bassist: