1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Fender Rumble V3 40 opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by growler571, Apr 16, 2015.

1. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    I just bought a new Fender Rumble V3 40 bass combo and I am hear to tell you this thing doesnt reproduce hardly any treble frequencies or fat low end even with the tone controls dimed. Its like this Fender Rumble 40 is voiced for midrange only and it reminds me of peavey bass amps that kinda sound sort of blah and lifeless tone wise. I might add the only way it seems to get a half way decent tone is with the vintage button engaged and the bass all the way up and treble with mids cuts way down. Even then thogugh its still blah.... Any thoughts on this Fender Rumble V3 40 watt bass combo greatly apprecited.

Yahboy likes this.
  2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thx for posting your thoughts. I had been considering this.

3. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I tried one in a store and thought it sounded great.

4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Fender Rumble Club | Page 262 | TalkBass.com

You are invite to the Rumble Family! :bassist:

5. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

hey Mr I got a free eden :p you don't need it lol

tastybasslines likes this.
  6. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    What kind of bass do you use? What's your typical EQ setup?

I haven't played through the Rumble 40. I have the Rumble 500 combo, same tone stack but obviously more power and it's 2x10 rather than 1x10 like the 40. Anyway, with everything at noon settings and no tone buttons engaged, it sounds great, has a good balance of everything.

I've heard a lot of folks rave about the Rumble 40, but perhaps the tone isn't suited to what you look for in bass tone. Or maybe you got one that isn't working right.

7. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Same experience here with the Rumble 500 v3 head if anything the head has too much bottom
    I played with one of the 100watt combos today and it too sounded great. Perhaps you got a bad unit?

8. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    Hmmmm interesting everyone. Today I took the combo outside on the porch and turned it up half way with my Am Std Jazz and my Am Std Precision, and it sounded way different and quite a bit better outside than it does in my bedroom, but it still seems to be a bit lacking in the lows and highs somewhat. I think maybe Im just so used to hearing my GK 700RBII 115 combo with 320 watts that I am expecting too much from the little 40 watt rumble. After all it is only a 10 inch speaker also.

9. There are much better 10's available, and, in combination with appropriate port tuning, one can make quite a large improvement. Before replacing the driver, consider trying with one port blocked (rag tightly stuffed in it), and also with both ports blocked (sealed). Both yield a substantial improvement in bass extension and quality.

10. GuiTuber

GuiTuber

Feb 19, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    I had one for a short time until I returned it for a 200 (long story).

I was very happy with the 40. Even happier with the vintage button on. I never moved the EQ off of 12'clock and I felt the low end was quite impressive for a small amp.

Obviously, the 200 is way better, but I'm even more impressed by the 40 when I used my mind's ear and compare the two.

I would have to agree with Crucislancer and that maybe the 40's tone is just not your cup of tea. Some people think the Rumbles are too low.