Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My fiance is picking up my new SWR LA-10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dougb256, May 30, 2005.

1. dougb256

dougb256

May 22, 2005
    On the farm
    I think that qualifies her as being the best girlfriend ever :hyper:

AB Stephens in Huntsville AL has them on sale today for $149. I *really* want the Ampeg B-100R, but for right now I can get the SWR and an SX Jazz/Precision bass for $300. This is strictly for bedroom/recording purposes (no live gigging).

Happy Memorial Day!

-Doug

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Be wary, the LA series is nothing but poo poo.

You'd be better off with a Peavey Microbass.

3. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004

Crash! boom! Thats the sound of your joy being shot down in flames. Ouch.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Better now than when he gets home and realizes it's a piece. :meh:

5. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Congrats on your new purchase and I wish you many good hours playing. :bassist:

6. dougb256

dougb256

May 22, 2005
    On the farm
    Nah... to each their own. I already played thru one a few times and liked it - no tweeter, yay :) It'll suit my purposes just fine for now.

And we both know it's a temp amp til we can get an Ampeg B-100R or Pignose B100.

Besides, I've had enough Peavey amps in this lifetime :meh:

-Doug

7. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Congrats!

I used to own a Workingman's 10 and still own an LA8. They are great little amps with great tone.

I am glad you realize that they are pretty much for bedroom type practice or recording. Some guys buy small amps like that and try to gig with them. They either end up very disappointed or blowing up their amp. Then they blame the manufacturer! To effectively gig with a small amp requires a very different breed of small amp.

I wish I still had my WM10. But then I also wish I still had my Super Redhead.

Oh well.

:D

Joe.

8. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Oh, and I agree about your girlfreind.

Sounds like a keeper!

Joe.

9. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    i've played the LA-10 and it sounds great for what it is.. if you want to gig with it, you could mike it to the PA.. they should put a DI out on it.. atleast a 1/4" out..

why not??

alot less to carry.. and a great tone for 150.00..

10. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I did that once and it worked great. You just place the amp close enough for you to monitor.

Unfortunately my old bandmates did not like the idea so I started bringing my main rig again.

Joe.

11. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I've got a SWR LA 15 that I use for small gigs and it sounds fine. Ox likes Peavey. That should tell you a lot.

12. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    hahaha..

that explains everything.. ;)

13. I agree with you and Lowtonejoe.

I bought an LA-10 last October just to have a smaller, more portable amp than my B100R, and I have to say that it sounds pretty good. Just keeps up with a hard-strummed acoustic guitar, but that's all I need it for.

Dougb256, you do have an awesome girlfriend. :cool:

Any woman who doesn't complain that much about playing/buying gear is a plus, but those who buy their men gear are worth their weight in gold 10 times over. ;)

Mike

14. By the way, I paid $180.99 for mine before tax, so you got a great deal as well. ;)

Mike

15. dougb256

dougb256

May 22, 2005
    On the farm
    Oh yeah! Considering the women I've been with in the past, this one is THE keeper :D

Thanks to everyone for their comments, even Ox's!

-Doug

16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    "Yeah, yeah, OK...but you're carryin' it!"

The last nice little SWR practice combo I bought home was a Black Beauty.

Oops! :p Didn't realize the depth of my miscalculation until after I rolled it out in the Guitar Center lot and tried to put it in the back of the Cherokee. :eek:

17. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    i think it's great little amp, and i don't even own one.. i played one at GC, and it's pretty loud for what it is..

what i think would be cool, is to take it and put a pole tophat in the bottom of the amp, and put it on a speaker stand..

if it was at ear level, it would project better and would seem to be louder than what it is.. couple this with either a mike, or a DI and you've got a pretty decent small rig that you could easily pack around, and be ready to play at any moment..

if it's volume is being judged, with it sitting on the floor, it's giving it all to your ankles.. not your ears..

it would be nice for some company to produce a tiny rig that is capable of gigging.. and not that dual 6" "suitcase" amp-thing..

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    That's a good way to look at it.

I recently bought a 100% stone mint B-100R [Yellville plant production] only a couple of months old at GC for $269.99. So new it didn't even have the protective skin pulled off the control panel.

The deals are out there.

19. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yeah, but it wasn't my P.A. :meh:

Cool! I hear they are great sounding rigs.

Yeah, I went through something similar when I had my Super Redhead. I ended up getting rid of it. Man, I wish I had it back. :crying:

Joe.

20. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Congrats on the amp, the first bass equipment my girlfriend purchased for me was a Carvin Rig, it went back but it was the thought that counted. I have since married her and the last gift she brought home was a Lakland 55-94, she's definetly getting better. :D