1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My final decision on a head/cab setup. I want to order tonight. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rota, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    Well after doing a bit of research on here I think I've made a final decision. I need a new amp rig, and it's got to be a head/cab setup. Avatar seems to be the way to go for a cheap, reliable, well made cab, and Ashdown sounds like the same for amps.

I first was looking at the Ashdown Mag300, but I've read it really is only for small gigs. My band is very serious and will playing small to medium gigs, and in the future will play large gigs. I really would like to get something now that I don't have to replace later.

So this is my final setup:

Head: Ashdown Mag600R Head
    Cab: Avatar 2x12 cabinet 8ohm

I'd like to order this tonight, so I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this setup. I need a rig by the end of next week. What do you guys think?

2. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    That Ashdown head is on sale at Musician's friend. That looks like a real good deal.

I always recommend buying used. Your money goes farther. More bang for your buck.

3. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Pull the trigger. Should keep you satisfied for a year or so. Till the GAS hits again. Stay off this site for a year.

4. FYI, when I tried a MAG 600 head it really wasn't that much louder than the 300. That being said, the 300 was a lot louder than I expected it to be. Anyway, the MAG 600 is a good choice for a head; the Avatar 2x12" is a good choice for a cab, also. I think your rig will be great!

5. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    I don't know anything about the head.

but I just recieved my avatar 2x10 today that I ordered at the beginning of this week. I don't have personal experience with a 2x12, but the cab I got is absolutely amazing. this is my first stack- I bought a hartke 3500 off of another tb member, and got this cab new. my other amp, the only other amp I've ever had, is an ampeg ba115hp (220 watts, 15" driver). I originally planned on pairing this cab up with another 115 cab of some sorts, but I'm now rethinking this. I can't even comprehend how this 210 sounds so awsome compared to my ampeg. and the difference in volume is just like night and day. I don't get how the difference in volume is so much. my ampeg is 220 watts into 1 15. the stack(with the one cab I have now) is 240 watts at 8 ohms into the 2 10s. using it in my room, I have to have the master volume at less than 1, and that's still too loud (for being a practice amp-my dad's in an office directly below my room). even at 1, my rooms just completely flooded with beautiful music. any more, and my floors are shaking.

so, others may disagree, but I think that the 212 youre considering with definitely be loud enough. well, unless youre doing huge out door gigs- then I have no idea. not being surrounded by any walls creates some weird acoustics. it all just seems to disappear.

6. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    Thanks guys.

I just bought the head from Musiciansfriend. The cab will be ordered Monday when I get paid.

7. If you still have some 'space' left under your profile, can ya post a pick of your rig back on this same thread when its complete? I'm sure you won't mind! :)

8. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    Will do!

9. shamrock&roll

shamrock&roll

Feb 14, 2007
    California
    Check the TB classifieds before ordering an Avatar. You might find a used one in there or check out albass111's sale. He listed a used Ashdown 410 8ohm for $315. That's hard to beat. He's a great guy, too. There's an Avatar 210 and 410 as well in there.

10. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I like the sound of MAG's. I have a 300watt C-115 combo and it was always loud enough back in the old days (ie, untill i came here;-). The 600R is as loud as the ABM575EVOII although i feel it will sound louder because of the mid voicing so im sure it will do the job.
    I have no experience with the cab but could i suggest you get a 4ohms cab to get the full output form the head unless you intend to get another cab to go with it. Although there might not be a huge difference in output between a 8ohms and a 4ohms cab with the 4ohms you will get a bit more headroom at least.
    IMHO of course.

11. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    Al didn't want to ship, and I'd much rather buy a speaker cabinet new than used. Just personal preference.

I just got off the phone with avatar. They really have great customer service there. The guy I talked to was real upbeat and on the ball. My brand new B212 Neo cabinet is gonna be shipped today.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021