My final decision: Spector vs. Epiphone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigdavis_08, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Bigdavis_08

Oct 7, 2004
    Hugoton, KS
    OK. This will be my first bass and will be playing a lot of metal. So finally, i have narrowed to doen to 2 decisions:

Spector SSD Performer 4 string

Epiphone Gothic Thunderbird 4 string

2. Spector all the way. The Thunderbird is like a rock and role bass, and an Epiphone Thunderbird isnt worth it IMO. Are you buying new or used?
  3. Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    Are you gonna be playing a lot of live gigs. If so the thunderbird's cool stage presence should taken into account. My favorite bassist nikki sixx primarily played thunderbirds, as did many other rock legends. I haven't played either the goth thunderbird or the spector you mention so I can't comment on their tone. I have recorded with a gibson thunderbird in the past and have gotten great results using it. It is real easy to get a good rock/metal sound from those.
  4. {OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.

I think it would prolly be a better choice, if for only the fact its more versatile should you decide to expand your musical directions.

But either way you cant really go wrong..... Its likely not your last. ;)
  5. Bigdavis_08

Oct 7, 2004
    Hugoton, KS
    Nah man. Im just gonna play in our little garge band. maybe at the basketball games every once in a while but the t-bird does look cool, but im truly not a big Epiphone fan. My friend is obsessed but hes a big jazz person.
  6. Dviper

Aug 24, 2004
    New York, USA
    spector all the way! i just bought myself a spector Rebop 5 :bassist:
    I tried the Perforber at guitar center and i thought it was really good...better then the Ibanez SR300 that i started with.
    The Epiphone is more of a rock and role bass like said b4. for harder metal type songs i think the spector would be the right bass. also the spector has a much wider tone variaty.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've said it before, I'll say it again:

If the answer isn't Spector, you're not asking the right question.
  8. as the owner of a spector I am trying to get off my hands... I say SPECTOR!!!!

If it wasn't for my Cirrus, I would still want it
  9. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Aside from what others have said, I vote for Spector because the balance is much better than the Thunderbirds which have crazy neck dive. It's fatiguing to simultaneously hold the neck up while fretting notes. Spectors generally don't neck dive thanks to strategic strip pin placement.

And while I have no experience with the Performer line, I can say that other Spectors I've tried with EMGs have tons of usable tones for just about any musical situation.

So let's see...great balance/playability, solid construction, good sounds, pedigree name...yep Spector is t3h w!n.
  10. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    if you want to save your shoulder in the future get the Spector.
  11. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
  12. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Wow!!!!!! I like it, can I use it in my signature? :D
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You might also enjoy "Spector is the only answer to all things rock and/or roll."

And yeah, go ahead.
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mmm Spector definitely.
  15. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    The fact that this question even has to be asked offends me. ;) See Brendan's statement. He's in the official un-official TB Spector Cult, formerly championed by my bud Polybass. :D
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I am?
  17. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    "What's the worst bass you can buy for rock?"

:eek: :bag: :D
  18. I've never been impressed with the quality or durability of epiphone stuff.

all the spector's I've played have seemed very nice in all their price ranges.