Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my finger has a huge blister on it!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fleabass89, Nov 17, 2000.

1. i can hardly type! and now i can't play bass! THIS IS TORTURE! I can't even use a pick! The only thing I can do is slap, but i kinda suck at that, and I can't slap on the A, D and G strings so i have to slap only on the E string and I have to move all over the place! NOOOO! and when I get up to like the 20th fret, it doesn't sounds as good because the string isnt vibrating enough.

TORTURE....PURE TORTURE

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    whenever i would get a blister, before i developed my calluses, i would clean a sewing needle and puncture the blister. usually it would develop into a nice callus. sometimes i would paint clear nail polish or super clue over it, which would help it stay tough.

3. :mad: My butt has a huge pimple on it! :mad:

:D

4. I....really...wish....you hadn't told me that.
    *shudders*.
    lololol

I pop the blister as well. haha. This thread is going to be the most disgusting in TB history i think. Lets steer clear of the body fluids ppl!. lol

Merls

5. my butt has a huge bug on it! :eek:

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You guys! :D

I was practicing piano parts on my 6 the other night and was plucking with a part of my ring finger that I don't normally use. It was kind of tender after a couple of hours but I didn't think anything of it. Went to bed. Got up the next morning with dried blood on it and dead skin hanging from it.:eek:

7. When I first started playing I got a blister, too. Well...not quite EXACTLY when I first started. It was my 3rd or 4th practice, and on the way home in the car I noticed a blister was forming on my finger. I forget which finger it was now, but anyway, when I got home I just grabbed a pin and punctured it. By the next morning it had developed into a nice callous. :)

8. K i popped it, but unfortunately the pin I used wasnt that sharp so it hurt a little, but I'm no wuss
    I think it's developing again and filling with fluid.

9. Same thing happend with my pimple. :(

10. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I used to get blisters a lot, especially when I had a little time off. It seems to happen more when I use rounds. Anyway, my solution was always to lance it as much as necessary to keep the fluid drained. When it would happen on the second night of a week gig, I found myself taping my fingers to play. Just play till you're numb, and then wonder how accurate you are. OUCH!!!

11. Hi guys

I've got a friend who plays classical guitar and also bass(as most guitarists like to think they can). I can remember when i was just starting out and was really proud of developing callouses. Anyway his response was 'you shouldn't get callouses - if you do you're pressing the strings down too hard'!!

I know i have a harder 'pad' on my fingertips but they're definitely not callouses now. IMO i think his advice was spot on - i don't know how many posts i've lurked through here where someone is talking about using a lighter touch -here's another example where it seemed to work for me.

I think being aware of tensing can really help with your tone/feel.

Just thought i'd add my two ringgits.

12. Dragen

Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    I thought you weren't supposed to puncture it. A friend told me that when I got one four days ago. And it seems to be gone (though it does that once in a while), but I feel it still.

13. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Most blisters are due to friction burns. Traditional medical thinking says to leave it alone until the inflammation heals, however, in most cases i have seen if you drain it early, the dermal(or epidermal depending on the depth of the injury) will re-attach and a callous will form. Just be carefull when lancing the blister that you puncture it only enough to start the fluid draining and nothing more. Any deeper or a blood filled blister may get infected if you puncture it so it is best to let those heal after you drain it. Generally 2-4 days will be all.

14. Mine's all better now, but I'm sure you don't want to hear about it... I know you don't want to hear about the ripping skin, the draining fluid...never mind.

:D

15. polo3378

polo3378

Nov 21, 2000
    Me, I just developed two nice shiny blisters on the index and middle digits of my right hand. Boy do they smart...

16. was it on the hole finger?

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Used the search function to find this thread, can I have a cookie? j/k popped the blister, lots of blood came out, looking forward to retaining my hard earned callus. I love it that we have Dr.'s here. Thanks.