My Finger has no Feeling in it :- (

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SpeeDFX, May 7, 2002.

1. SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    I got my first bass last thursday, and last night I spent about 30 minutes tuning it. After I got done...the finger I was fretting a string with (my middle finger, left hand) has no feeling on the tip. And all through today it has no feeling in it. Is this normal for new players?
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yup. just wait, the feeling will come back soon, but then you'll build a callous and then you really won't be able to feel anything.

or, if you're super cool like me, you can stick a knife into the 2nd joint of your finger and sever a nerve!!! then you really won't EVER be able to feel anything. :(
  3. Mathias_TfG

Apr 28, 2002
    New York
    Hey, it could be worse... your fingers could hurt like a mother...
    ...thats what happened to me when I first started. Personally, I don't recomend severing the nerves in your fingers, but thats just me.
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Not really about basses............................
  5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I believe that was an accident on his part... I think... :eek: :(
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    nope. i totally meant to jam a knife halfway through my finger as i was cutting open a cable tie. totally.

;) :p
  7. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    :eek: No way!!! I did the exact same thing a few years ago! Cutting open cable tie -> badly cut thumb -> stitches -> loss of feeling in parts of thumb...

To everyone reading this: Let the SINGER cut the cable ties, 'cos if the knife slips, he won't miss his fingers as much as we would! :p

As far as the numb finger goes, yep, I'm afraid it is going to hurt a bit until your fingers build up... if your muscles ache, that means you're making progress, but if your tendons hurt, you should stop and give them a rest.