My Fingers Hurt

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MaX PoWeR, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Hello,

Just wondering how you guys deal with the blisters or hard skin you get on your fingers from playing. Mine really hurt. Any tricks of the trade would be appreciated.:confused:
  2. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    theres no easy way, u either stop till they go or just play and not use the fingers with blisters on them.
  3. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Sorry, but it's a case of no pain, no gain! :D

It'll get better with time. Unfortunately, like most things, there are no shortcuts - you've just got to be patient.
  4. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Blisters will definitely hurt, maybe give it a rest until they heal a bit. In time, you'll probably form calluses making the skin tough and more resilient.

Make sure your action isn't too high, high action requires more pressure to fret the notes, and this will aggravate the areas that hurt.

One thing that some guitarists have done in the past is apply super glue to the sensitive areas on their skin so they can continue playing. I don't recommend that you do this, but it's an old school way to keep playing when your skin is tender.

There's something about putting glue on my fingers that could potentially bond my skin together just doesn't sound appealing to me. I recommend you rest for now. In time, the playing will form calluses and it's less likely you'll experience the pain you're having now.
  5. Uh, I don't know about this... but I've seen a couple of bassists out there who tape up their fingers.
  6. Don;t let your finger tips get too hard, use some moisturizer on the tips. The skin can crack and you could be out of commision for about a month it that happens.
  7. Your fingers hurt?? Oh, well now your back's gonna hurt...cause you just pulled landscaping duty...:D
  8. Thanks for the giggle.

How about a nice warm glass of shut the hell up!
  9. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    oh yeah i forgot to add, you can buy gloves for playing in. I've seen a few people wear them but they were in heavy bands and it kinda took the attention away from the rock and more to the michael jackson element. so u can wear them at the risk of lookng like a fool :D
  10. My index and middle finger have a callous which has cracked, after about three hours playing it hurts too much. But hey i just resort to a pick.

Its one of those things we can't do much about.

11. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Max, I would first make sure that the action on your bass is set low enough. High action= sore fingers.

If your picking fingers are getting sore too quickly, try increasing the amp volume and playing with a lighter touch.

Thier sound may not be your cup of tea, but flat wound strings are easier on the fingers than round wounds.

You have my sympathy. After a lot of years on DB I have dealt with more than my share of sore fingers.

Hope this helps.

12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    As the others have said you kinda just have to deal with it. But if you're really in a bind (like a blister pops in the middle of a gig) there's this stuff called NuSkin that you put on wet and it dries to the consistency of skin. You can also use superglue, but there was a doctor here (MikeMulcahy?) that said there's a chance of it getting infected or causing some other nasty problems.