1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My fingers hurt!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Mar 15, 2008.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    So, I had a gig and I just got home. Basically me and a few friends had gotten together to play a quick show, we're scheduled for an hour set.

So we set up and get on, and you know time to play. Middle of our second song I do a chord thats all harmonics. I pluck hard by the bridge to get it to sound right and I feel a sharp pain in my finger. I keep playing but look down at my hand. I ripped off half my nail along with a bit of the cuticle. Finished the set and went home.

Here's the bass after I got home.
    FingerPaint.

2. bigbass94

bigbass94

Apr 4, 2007
    ICKY!!!!:eek:

3. littlezak

littlezak

Mar 4, 2007
    wow.......

if your in a punk band dont clean the blood off , it'll make you sound better.;)

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'm in a jazz rock band.

Basically imagine if Jaco Pastorius played with Cream.

5. crazyguy832

crazyguy832

Dec 17, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Hah, I know what that feels like man.

Gig about a year ago, I managed to cut both my hands up by handling some broken glass about an hour before the set.

Needless to say, the scabs didn't hold and my bass was a bloody mess afterwards.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    [butthead]COOL![/butthead]

7. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    :meh:

If it makes you feel better I think the reason why there is so much more blood next to the E string is because there might have been a spray.:smug:

8. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    Ouch........hence the reason I have very very short nails. Short nails don't get ripped off :)

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I grow my right hand nails longer so, depending on my angle of attack, it sounds like a pick. Its also easier for me to pluck out the chords on bass thaty way too. I guess I plucked too hard.

10. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Twice I ended up with blood all over my bass.

First time my A string core broke in the middle of a tune so I grabbed it and pulled it off the bass. Lots of blood all of a sudden. When I got home I had to fish 13 tiny shards of steel winding out of my pinky with a needle.

Second time I didn't actually know whose blood it was, but it wasn't mine. I was playing for an acid-jazz type band at the time too, it's not like we had a mosh pit happening...

11. Oh, you say you cut yourself. How convenient.
    Detective Dano would like to check that bass for blood stains
    to see if that was the murder weapon used in a homicide.

:p

12. mokkat

mokkat

Jan 22, 2008
    i tried something like that once. I was having a year off from education and had taken a temporary job at a small factory. One day I was taking sharp edges off small metal thingies on a machine. Only had a couple of hours of sleep that night and the very monotonous work made me drowsy. My boss had warned me not to run the edge-cutting drill into my finger - and of course, thats what happened :rolleyes:
    My left index finger got torn up pretty badly, the drills sharp edge sliced a big curve cut in the nail and cut the flesh a bit too before I got it out of there. The nail stayed on, but some of it was now kinda "layered" and the bottom part was jamming into the finger below :(

The same afternoon I had a gig. Painkillers and beers kept the pain at bay. The fear of getting a piece of my "crater-nail" stuck in a string and ripping it of, made me try playing with a plaster on - but the sticky part would get stuck in the strings, so I ended up covering just the upper half of the finger with ordinary clear tape.
    After the 1.5hour gig I had bled all over the fretboard and my t-shirt :bassist:

should have taken some pictures :meh:

13. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    One time that i had this problem, i used a pick for the first time (on a bass) for the rehearsal. I couldn't do anything else! I'm really a dedicated fingerstyle player, but no other options.

This problem starts usually when u don't listen loud enough what u play, and you pluck harder and harder..

14. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    ouch,
    I've only ripped open hang nails and ripped blisters open.... never near as much as that. ouch.

15. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    How's your face feel ?

:bag:

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Never clean that off! You get extra man points for playing through the pain!

17. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    :p.....that's not so bad......

bloodric.

I played a gig the night before on my new-to-me 8 string Ric (aka "The Cheesegrater") and developed a few blisters. On the night of this "mishap" my band was playing the local "House of Blues", which was a big deal for us, and the blisters let go early in our first set. Not much to do but keep playing.

Not to sidetrack much but your painful pic just reminded me of my own misery.:bassist:

18. OMG! How did you do that? I'd have had to go to the hospital to do something like that! They'd probably also have to knock me out with a hammer >_<
    Horrible!

This thead is terrible. Just the sort of thing I want to read when I've just got my tea and toast before bed really. Good ol' talkbass :D

19. doormatt

doormatt

Apr 8, 2005
    jeepers creepers you guys are xxxtreme!!!

20. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY

Yours looks a lot worse, but to be fair I didn't use my finger much after that. I'm gonna try and camera phone my knobs, theres a few drops of blood on there that'll be wasted if I don't post them on TB:p