my fingers!!! i need serious help...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by notabob, Oct 30, 2003.

1. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    ok,i have a fingers keep splitting open. i play at our student ministry every sunday morning and every wednesday night. every sunday, after we practice that afternoon, the tip of my pointer and middle fingers on my right hand split open. the fingers are so calloused that they wont heal. i put neosporin and bandaids on them everyday and they are still open wounds. i can use picks, but i hate the tone i get, so i play through the blood. it really hurts and i really need advice on what to do...i really really need advice. it is killing me to even type this. please help...

edit: we are having a really big event this sunday night. we are expecting around 300 highschoolers to be there. (all you can eat wendy's burgers) and im really gonna need to be able to rock out...comfortably. so, any tips will most likely be attempted.
  2. I heard something about putting glue on your fingers as an instant callous. I think liquid glue could work, since it will come off eventually and it turns pretty hard.
  3. You could use that "New Skin" junk I used to use when I was bowling and got blisters.
  4. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    yeah i had seen that before too. ill definitely try it. I WILL TRY ANYTHING! if you tell me boiling my finger tips will help, ill do, please dont tell me to do that.:D
  5. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Your fingers will heal faster if you leave off the band-aids. Make sure that you keep your fingers clean.
  6. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i used them liquid bandaids once, but they are like a dollar per application. they work, so...i guess they are worth it, im just looking for a good home remedy thats not gonna cost me a bundle. has anyone actually tried the glue thing?

oh, and, laying off the bandaids shouldnt be a problem being that i used the last one yesterday. so much for a 36 pack. hahaha...
  7. i have the same problem i just put a little bit of ductape over it keeps in the blood and doesnt hurt or bother you!
  8. notabob, it sounds like mayble the skin on your hands is overly dry. Try using something like Corn-Huskers lotion, or even Jergens during the week when you are not playing, and before bed time. If you work with your hands, use work gloves when you can. I have been a mechanic for most of my life, and it is a chore to keep my hands where it doesn't sound like I'm using a brick for a slide. If you problem persists, get to a dermatologist. If you let it go too long it can get ugly.

Good luck, John
  9. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I guarantee you that this will solve your problem. Turn up your amp.

The key is then to play at your usual volume, but using a lighter touch. You don't need to dig in so much. Try it for a week.
  11. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Your fingers should not bleed, thats true. Couple of things you should know:

1 No matter what you put on them, if you keep playing, it will come off.

2 If you keep playing and dont let it heal, it wount get better.

3 Check your technique, you should not have that much trauma to your fingers.

4 you may also be suffering from some low grade dehydration as well. Add some more water to your diet and use a topical moisturizer as well.

Callous is a build up of dying skin (so to speak), its the bodies' reaction to repeated friction and/or trauma. A split callous will not usually heal, it will slough off and be replaced by skin from underneath. It does not have the same elasticity of "normal" skin. Therefore it splits easier when stressed.

Best bet, ease up on the finger pressure, let the skin heal, live a normal life.

12. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Try some Zim's Crack Creme. No kidding... check out

I haven't tried the stuff, butt (ha!) with a name like that its gotta work! :D

You might try flat wound strings and finger ease along with a light touch and see what happens.
  13. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    great ideas here...

first, i cant turn up my amp cause im going direct. they wont let me use my amp. the sound guy (depending on the day) is a very not nice guy and keeps me so i cant hear myself. i will add some more water to my diet and i got some cocoa butter here im gonna keep using. my middle finger has healed a lot. it seems that whenever they heal tho, i just mess them up again. ive given my pointer finger a rest for a while and im at the point where i can play without it. just middle and ring. i guess these little inconveniences can make us stronger in the long run. im gonna try all of these sugestions. thanks a lot guys.
  14. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    What's a very not nice guy doing being the sound guy at a church? :( Sometimes the attitudes of people stump me. Oh well, good luck!
  15. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    For a start, it sounds like you need a full week or so away from playing, to let your fingertips heal up. Otherwise the problem is never going to go away.

During your one week enforced lay off, keep your finger tips covered with bandaids over the top of Paw Paw (Papaya) ointment. This stuff has amazing healing properties for damaged skin, as it promotes skin growth without forming a hard brittle scab. Rugby players in Australia use Paw Paw ointment on grazed knees and elbows, because the last thing they want is to rip a fresh scab off a grazed knee in a week's time.

If you can't source Paw Paw ointment where you live, vitamin E cream is probably the next best option.

As someone else suggested, flatwound strings will help as well. Flats are easy on your fingers, and easy on your frets and fingerboard. TI Jazz flats or D'Addario Chromes are brighter than other flatwound strings, so are well suited to most musical styles.

I've played for 25 years and have moderate callouses on my playing fingers, but have never had any splitting such as you have described, so technique may be an issue.

Whatever you do, you need to heal up, because I'm sure blood dripping from the hands of the bass player is a rather freaky thing to see in church.
  16. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    That is totally awesome.

But I would suggest that 'liquid bandaid' stuff. Give it a try or :eek: Lay off the bass till it heals, because it could get infected and get really messed up.
  17. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    yeah, im in the high school band in the student ministry at my church. we play every sunday morning and some sunday nights and ive been playing on a lot of wednesday nights to fill in for the middle school band's bassist, cause he isnt very reliable. ive been told ill get this wednesday off, but i was told that about this past wednesday too. :rolleyes: i just sanded some of the callouse off of my pointer finger and got some ointment stuff on it. new strings are in order for my bass, but i dont have a job and im trying to survive off of allowance so i have to save up. i dont think there is really anything to question in my technique. ill probably use a pick some this sunday just to take it easy on my fingers. practice from 9am to 10am. play at 11:00am. practice at 12:00pm, done at 2pm. play again at 7:00pm. this sunday will kill me. thanks for the tips, ill tell the sound guy that i have to be able to know im heard or else there will be blood :D

Oct 28, 2003
    Dude Turn your Amp up and tell the sound guy if he dont like it to play the Bass himself then shake the blood at him for him to see that u are suffering......this should not be the case, if its painful it aint fun. You will play much better with out pain.....or go to the pastor and fix the sound guy...Good luck.
  19. SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I'd sleep with no band-aids or anything on your fingers for a few days..kind of let the wounds dry up a bit..if you're playing that day or whatever, go to a hobby store or some place and get some of the super thick "hot stuff" or "Zap" glue..Its basically super glue. If you put a dab on and let it dry, you'll be amazed that the stuff gets hard enough and keeps your fingers from hurting (I used to install car stereos and would always have cuts, etc on my fingertips).. The nice thing is that it peels right off when you're done and helps with pain.Believe me, this works wonders.

p.s. I know this isnt the best remedy, but it is safe unless you have DEEP cuts.
  20. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    well, the cuts arent deep. i used some vitamin e on them last night and this mornig and i barely have any pain left. ill definitely pick up some superglue before sunday so they dont break open again. all it took was a little sanding and some vitamin e and im almost as good as new. thatnks for all these tips they have helped. now im going downstairs to rehydrate myself.