my fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bassman2003, Jan 29, 2002.

1. ok so here's what happened:
    i was in chemistry and we where heating something on the bunsen burner (im not sure what it was i wasnt paying attention) and my group made me take part of the thing we where heating off the burner. As I took it off it slipped out of the tongs i was holding it in and started bouncing on the table. it was made of some china or some porcalean or something so i didnt want it to break and i caught it in my fingers.... it was very hot and now my left hand fingers are all blistered and burnt. so my question to you guys is do you know any secret bass player remedy's or at least a way to fix my fingers up enough to practice?
  2. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Sorry to hear that man, that totally sucks.

If you burned them that bad, you might want to see a doctor about it... it would really suck ass they got infected. At the very least, you'll have to stop playing until they heal enough where it's not painful to play. Oh yeah, and the good doctor could tell you what burn medications work exceptionally well.
  3. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Theres this crap called New Skin. I dont like it though. You need a lot of it to work and it gunks up your strings really bad. I always use white sports/medical tape. I dont know the right name for it, I always call it wonder tape.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you've got large, puffy, soft, blisters I'd take beer monkey's advice. They're probably going to break no matter what you do. Playing bass without some kind of tape once their broken could lead to something nasty.

Otherwise, try super glue. Lots of rockabilly upright bassists tear up their fingers regularly and swear by it. I've used it, too, and it does fine. A big plus is that it doesn't get tacky and leave goop on the strings/fretboard.

It was originally intended for closing surgical incisions. It became a home fix-it product later.
  5. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Damn forgot that one. Ive actually used that more than tape. If you ever deside to use that let the hardend glue come off on its own. Youll cause more problems if you try to rip it off.
  6. definitely go with the super glue- unless your fingers have open cuts (like popped blisters)- there might be some funky chemicals goin on in there that you dont want inside you. tape works real well but i'd suggest taking a few days off- i just cut up my fingers real bad snowboarding (dont ask me how...long story)- i gave them a couple days to just heal over and im good as new. try it!:D
  7. well i only have one of those puffy blisters... i think its second degree but its on the side of my finger and i wont use it. the super glue sounds like a good idea and i think ill try it thanks guys
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Your fingers are injured man. Personally, I would recommend, see a doctor for treatment and to gauge severity, then follow his/her treatment, and stay off bass. Just let your body heal. It sucks, but that's the way life is. Why bother risking further, or permanent injury, for something that may be fine in a week. Just give your body time to heal naturally.
  9. Wicked7Shark

Wicked7Shark Guest

Jun 1, 2001
    lawton ok
    back when i first started playing, during heavy jam sessions i would use electrical tape. ........ of course i use electrical tape for everything..:D
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    You have 3rd degree burns on your fingers. I would advise you to see a doctor and follow his advice. Let your wounds heal in thier own time, If your fingers get infected, you run the risk of losing them. What good is your bass going to do you if you lose your fingers? Its a long shot that this will happen, but hey it could!
  11. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Sounds like a good second degree burn. Leave it alone and let it heal naturally. You must let the dermal layer replenish itself and slough off the injured layer. Any kind of friction, like playing bass will only exacerbate the problem and delay the healing process. Not to mention the risk of infection from dirty strings.

12. The answer to any kind of burn, and I mean any, from sunburns to big fat blister burns:
    Aloe Vera. The more natural the better. If you know some one who has an aloe vera plant, just cut a chunk off, peel the skin of it off and rub that slimy smelly stuff all over your burns, Liberally.

keep it on there. get some tape and wrap it around your hand or you can keep your hand clenched...

the longer you keep it on there, the better it is for the healing process. when that piece dries out, get another one.

Or you can go to the store (pharmacy or shopping center) and ask for a bottle of the stuff.

It will do your hand good :bassist:
  13. Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    +1 on the Aloe Vera. It's far better than anything else I've tried to treat burned skin. You see a huge difference within a few hours only!
  14. A couple of years ago, I was building a power supply for a school project, and without thinking I grabbed the soldering iron with my left hand when it was still plugged in. I burnt three of my fingers pretty bad. I had some bandages on my fingers and although there were some limits in my stretching ability, I was still able to play.
  15. Koki

Mar 27, 2006
    just wait..
  16. jenich CZ

jenich CZ

Feb 4, 2006
    I dont think that it sux at all...sure..its quite silly when it happens, but you have to work out with it. You have to get the best from accidents like this...ok so your left hand is temporary out of order, so focus on your right...Play just with your right hand...

Once I cut whole fingertip of my right index finger...there was studio session ahead so I had to do something with it...I started to play with middle and ring.

If you´ll work really hard on it, you´ll make a progress like never with two hands.
  17. i think the OP is probably fine by now considering that original post is from almost 5 and a half years ago.
  18. 4StringedFreak

May 26, 2007
    in my own experience.. i cut open my middle finger on my left hand(to the point where a couple people told me i should probably get a few stitches in it), and i just used multiple bandaids to cussion it when i played... it was a very bad idea! no matter what you do, your still gonna feel it..and naturally, youll be more dependant on your other fingers. afyer my finger healed, i had to semi-retrian my middle finger cuz i had become used to only using it when i had just take a break, and maybe play air-bass(lol) just so u can stay fresh
  19. jenich CZ

jenich CZ

Feb 4, 2006
  20. anesthetist

Nov 25, 2006
    yup, aloe vera is fantastic for burns but especially for blisters!