Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My finished Darrin Huff Custom!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skerik1, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    My bass is finally done and in my hands!! Words cannot describe this amazing bass. Just saying that this is THE best and most beautiful bass I've ever playing isn't saying enough!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--Matthew

2. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I may have some hi-res versions of those pics sometime soon.

If you are considering having a bass custom hand-made, Darrin is your guy! He personally called me TWICE the day I got it. Once in the morning when I got it, and later that evening after I told him I was going to try out some amps at a music store.

Darrin is by far the coolest guy in the world to work with. He was VERY understanding in exactly what I wanted in this bass, and far exeeded my expectations!

Darrin, you're the man, and would consider you a great friend! :)

--Matthew

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Darrin does it again!

awesome bass!

oh, and awesome new site darrin!

darrin is going somewhere in this biz.

5. Glorious. Oh man.

6. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The most beautiful bass I've ever seen:eek: . Congrats Matt. I can't wait for mine.......:help: the G.A.S. is killing me.

7. Gorgeous!!!

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Looks fantastic! Great job, Darrin!

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    That is beautiful! Absolutely beautiful! The fret markers are interesting with the double markers at the 7th & 19th. Are you happy with the E string w/ the 32” scale length? I dream of having a Huff built for me... someday. Can anybody tell me (via PM if they prefer) roughly what it costs to have a DH Z series 5 string built? Darren still does’t have pricing up on his site and I don’t want to bother him w/ an email since I’m not even close to ready to buy...just wondering how many more pennies I need to save:D

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I was really gung-ho on a D.huff bass, but things came up and I couldn't really afford it(needed to get a computer instead)

at anyrate, it was around ~$2000 for what I wanted, 4-string fretless. but he also mentioned how he was reconfiguring his prices.

his prices are really good though(for a custom bass, built at such high quality)

I'm sure he will chime in here soon enough, he was the one that introduced me to TalkBass(indirectly)

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    IMPRESSIVE!!!

12. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    The funny thing about this bass is that the strings are TAUGHT! This bass has more tension in the strings than my Spector I used to have and it was a 34" scale. I'm thinking I'll probably get some lighter strings for her soon.

--Matthew

13. yomuthaz

yomuthaz

Oct 1, 2001
    darrin rules!!!!

14. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Wow! :eek: I saw this bass in progress at Darrin's shop but didn't get over to see the finished product. That is flat-out gorgeous! I love the way the maple laminates accent the body outline no matter what angle you view it from. It almost glows in the dark.

D - can't wait to see what you come up with for NAMM :)

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Beautiful Bass Matt!

Great job Darrin!

16. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    That is beautiful .... congrats!

What does it sound like??

17. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    very very beautiful bass!!
    I'm just not sure about the pick up being so close together. Can you describe the sound (if that is possible) for us?

18. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    PUNCHY as hell, and amazing clarity and intonation straight across the board, right up to the 29th fret! Pretty bright, yeah, but not TOO bright. Straightforward clear, brilliant tone.

Hell of a bass.

19. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Truly a work of art. If it sounds half as good as it looks, you're in business!:)

20. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    It looks like a Carl Thompson to me...
    :eek: :eek: :confused: ;) :D

JUST KIDDING!

Looks great Matt and Darrin. I can't wait to see what Darrin has at NAMM either...