My Finished Project Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Damian Coccio, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Damian Coccio

Damian Coccio Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Guitars
    I am curious what you guys think of my first project bass. I realize that cosmetically its not the greatest, but it plays and sounds great. The idea was to produce an economy version of a modified cross between a Zon Legacy Elite and a Zon Hyperbass (without the short scale and 3 octave neck and good woods). This bass cost around $500 to build. I have 6 basses ranging from old fenders to spectors. I really like the sound of this one.
    The body is Mahogany and the neck is maple (from Carvin) The pickup is an Bart M34 and the bridge is a piezo bridge. I always like the warm trueness of Mahogany basses I’ve played. I guess Mahogany is not too popular in basses due to its appearance and lack of high end. With the maple neck thru it seems pretty balanced though and the piezo really brightens things up and gives the bass a very sensitive acoustic sound and feel. I haven’t designed the actives for it yet, but run passively it sounds great.

I’ve never posted in Talk Bass forums before, but I have read them for months. I want to thank all of your for the time you take to share information. It has really helped my bass purchase decisions and to build this bass.
    (sorry for the long post)
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I think it's cool. Congrats!
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What you say above in your quote is all that really matters, IMO.

BTW - A big welcome to Talkbass, nuwave!!!

The Zon "paddle" headstock is a real turnoff for me; (even reviewers in Bass Player have dissed it). It just lacks any sense of aesthetics, to me.

But I think the rest is really admirable for a first effort, visually. I could never do it.

Does the piezo have a lot of the "click/clack" that victimizes many other basses with piezos??? If not, why do think it doesn't have that???....(the walnut???)

Also, which rig(s) are you playing it through???
  4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Neat bass!! Better not let Joe (Zon) see it!! ;)
  5. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Not cosmetically great? :eek: If my project turns out looking half that nice, I'll consider it a success!
  6. wow! nice piece of work! really something to be very proud of! (btw. Welcome to Talk bass!)
  7. Damian Coccio

Damian Coccio Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Guitars
    So far Ive played it through an old ampeg, and SWR combo and also through headphones. There is a little of that "click/clak" stuff but the piezo really seem nice when I filtered it with either a high pass, low pass or mid cut response before mixing it with the bart. They seem to be really peaky around 2KHz. It really complements the Bart when say 25-to 40 % of the mix is piezo. So far It seems think Piezo and fretless go together pretty well. It really has a singing voice, more than my old fender jazz mwha.

I know, I now regret the headstock. I cant recut it though the tuners are too close too the edge.

Thanks for the reply!
  8. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I think that's a great bass! Looks fine to me. I like a nice mahongany, I'll bet it's got a good tone for fretless. I'd love to hear that thing!

I'm impressed. Looks like a bass I'd be proud to play. That you built it yourself should make it quite special.

I'm guessing since it's fretless you don't have a lot of the clackiness associated with piezos? Or does it make some noise when the strings hit the board?

Very nice job. I'm sure you'll have a lot to contribute here. Maybe you'll be on the luthiers forum one day!

let's let everybody see your handiwork...
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's pretty darned good for a first project bass
  10. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
  11. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Excellent! Looks like you put a lot of work into it!:cool:
  12. hey man.. are you looking for a job @ allobass inc. ? :D
  13. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Man. I think that looks great. especially for your first project.. Wanna let me have it? :):D
  14. Nice work! I built one from scratch a couple of years ago and can appreciate all you went thru. It looks great and if you think it sounds great, you have a success!

15. LayLow

Mar 17, 2002
    wow, it's great, I'm going to try and make one in a few years, I hope mine is such a big success.
  16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Welcom to the wonderful world of TalkBass!!!!!

The bass looks GREAT. I've built basses but from parts, mostly Warmoth & I don't think I have "what it takes" (patience:)) to build a neck-thru from scratch.
  17. Pea-NUT

Jul 1, 2001
    Jerseyville, IL
    Thats really an awesome looking bass.
    I cant wait to start my "kit" bass..