My First + 2nd bass gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by AnTz0r, May 2, 2004.

1. About 10 months ago I joined my 2nd band. i played keyboards in my first, so this is my first band in which i play bass. we play metal covers, things like 'tallica, megadeth, maiden, saxon etc.

2 weeks ago we had our first gig. it went great! we played a bar, invited some friends (about a 100 people showed up) and played without many mistakes. public enjoyed, bar owner liked it, and i liked it too :p we played 2 sets, 45 minutes each. i love the rick i bought a week before the gig :)

after the gig i could not walk around the bar for a minute before the owner tossed a fresh beer in my hands :) we got €200 for it, so we were happy with that :)

yesterday we had our 2nd gig. it was a battle of the band kind of thing. we were to be the first band to play that evening, 3 bands followed us. each band got 45 minutes, but after 34 we were interrupted, show's over, say hi to next band! grrr! they cut us off, we didnt get to play my fave song, the 4 horsemen.
    we didnt had our own public. there were very little ppl at the time we played, later on more people cam in. people didnt really get the vibe. our guitarists couldnt hear himself. we think we sucked, some people we spoke to think we played fine. our stage presentation however sucked. there was no vibe going on between us and the audience, who where not with many and didnt know the stuff we played.

how do you handle though gigs like that? how do you get a vibe going on?
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    That's a bummer, to be sure, but if you're going to continue playing live, you will encounter plenty of nights just like that from time to time... During the gig, suck it up as best as you can. Get your playing simpler and concentrate on laying the foundation for the others... Plenty of eye contact and body motions/head nods to outline the 'one' if you're having a difficult time hearing each other... Pretty much everyone will be able to hear the drummer, so focus your playing there to reinforce the rhythm... It's hard to, but right after a bad gig, jot a few notes as to what you feel went wrong... Discuss at the next rehearsal.

If you're having one of those nights where the playing/sound are great, but there's no audience in attendance... Well, IMO, that's when you have to be at your most professional... DON'T start moaning into the microphone about the lack of applause, or about no-one being there... That's a sure way to alienate any sympathetic audience you may have or generate during the night... Play like there's a full house, (believe me, I know how tough this is), and just enjoy the fact that you're actually playing music onstage and getting paid for it!!

Seriously, the first handful of gigs will be attended by friends and well-wishers, and you will feel on top of the world... These folks will start falling away as the novelty wears off so you'll have to win over new converts...

At the very least, you've got a killer bass and rig and you're in a band fronted by a hot singer! Could be a lot worse!!

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi AnTzOr, welcome to the wacky world of live music! Nice rig by the way, the Rick 'n' Trace combination is a little unusual for metal, isn't it? Nice pic too, nice lookin' singer, just... nice!

Anyway, one can never tell how a gig is going to go. You win some, you lose some. Sometimes you invite a thousand people and only ten show up, and other times you can play in a dive bar and the place'll be packed. Sometimes you can't do any wrong, and other times the audience is sitting there with there arms folded in a "show me" kind of way, before you even play a note.

That's an aspect of being a performer that few people think about, relative to the "glamor" (yuk yuk). You have to go out and perform, no matter how you happen to feel. Maybe you've lost your car, your pad, and your girlfriend all in the same day, and you still have to get on stage with a smile on your face and some energy in your attitude. That's all part of show biz, and really it's what separates the pros from the wanna-be's. The pros can make it happen "no matter what". That's not to say they can make the audience happen, just their own performance.

When we get a sucky crowd, my cover band turns it into just another rehearsal. We'll pretend like there's no one there, and just do our own thing and try to make the best use of the time. That's really the only thing to do. Pissing and moaning isn't going to help matters. Sometimes we'll try some new material, to see whether any of it is going to make converts out of the deadheads. Sometimes it works, we have a couple of chic singers and they like girl songs (like Janis and Alanis, that kind of thing), so once in a while we'll pull something totally off the wall out of our ears just to see if it works. Once we even tried some disco, we did "Love Roller Coaster" by the Ohio Players, and "Get Down Tonight" by KC and the Sunshine band. We didn't know either of 'em, we just did our best. People actually responded, a couple of 'em got up and started dancing. You never know what might work for any given crowd. Part of the deal is to be flexible, so if your audience isn't into metal you can do disco instead (well, maybe not that, but you get the idea).

Anyway, the main thing is to have fun, "no matter what". Don't let a bad crowd get you down. Remember that it's their fault they're sucky, and not yours. If they had even an ounce of sense, they'd all be dancing!

Good luck bro. I hope you succeed with your endeavors, and have lots of fun in the process. (Nice bass by the way, I love those Rick's). :)
  4. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    The nights that are leaning toward the crappy are the ones you learn the most from.

One night our whole audience was a guy named Burt, or Ted. I forget. But it was just the one guy and we still had a blast.

It's a little harder when there is a decent crowd but they just can't seem to get into your regular stuff. We were an all-originals band, but we knew a few covers. The ones we knew were generally the ones we played to warm up at rehearsals. One night when we had a fairly full house, but no one seemed to be 'into' us at all, the guitar player started pulling out old Stones and Allman Brothers songs. That finally got their attention. Rush(YYZ and La Villa Strangiato) got them sitting up. What Is Hip? got them to actually dance. I discovered I could fake my way through a lot more old disco songs than I would have thought. I was also surprised to discover how many old disco songs our guitar player knew. Sort of a dirty secret there. :p

After we had gotten the crowd into us with covers, some that I normally hated playing, we switched back to some of our originals and they went over much better. We played one that we had done earlier in the night while no one cared and now it got a big response. Go figure.

Good gigs are to be enjoyed. Bad gigs are to be learned from.
  5. well, you can go 3 ways i think. 1: numetal: much low, much high, no mids. you wont be heard until you drop, only a big low blur.
    2: mids. cut through those marshall. works with warwicks too (i got a corvette :) )
    3: even more mids. rick tone works great i think, people will hear what i play :)

the trace has quite good eq possibilties and i like that. but there should be something better available. this head is sooooo heavy (it has 6 end tubes in it...) but im quite satisfeid with it. great tone and power for what i paid (only €650 ~ $750-800)

anyway thanks to all 3 of you for suggestions. i myself would not have problems with it, but i think especially our rhytmguitarist would have serious problems with playing something non-metal. maybe i could talk him into metallizing some other **** :)

problem is were not that experienced musicians, and doing a new song will take some time we could better use on learning songs WE like.

hey, we can make the choice to just play metal, but wed have to face the consequenses too then :)
  6. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    I agree wholeheartedly! :D
  7. Theres an idea that tends to work wonders....youre a metal learn some popular "non-metal" covers, and put your bands sound into them! You'll be suprised at the response that'll bring. We are an original band as well...but we do have a catalog of covers we use for that purpose...for example, we do a couple of Stevie Wonder tunes and hot rod them up just a little....And the Stones "Sympathy for the Devil" with a total funk beat....just a couple of examples, but the songs are revamped to fit our sound...and when the crowd looks bored, we pull one out. It doesnt always work, sometimes there is nothing you can do but turn the whole gig into a paid practice, as mentioned before...but every little trick you can have up your sleeve is worth trying. Humor does wonders too...if you go on first and the crowd hasnt had a few beers yet...make them laugh somehow. It'll help break the ice. Yep...nice rig! Im drooling over a Rick'll be awhile before I buy it though, gotta get a fretless first.
  8. hehe that is something we thought of ourself. we decidec to metalize bondie's "atomic" and a song by depeche mode, but we havent got around to it yet :)
  9. When the chili pepper did one of their early usa tours, some shows hardley anyone turned up. So they broke out the popcorn!!! I want to get out one of those arabic arghiles, its like a bong, but classier and legal. U smoke flavoured leaves and stuff like that. If I ever have a gig with only a few people listening, im going to brake out that with 'em.
  10. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Dont forget a "beer factor". For "success" it makes difference when you play your show at 7:00pm on front of shy sober audience or at 10:30pm on front of .. eh.. more "appreciative" one..
  11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I want a hot singer!! :mad:
  12. Yes, welcome to the world of live music :) .

Stay with it, because persistence pays off ... better gigs, better money, better crowds, etc.

Enjoy your band and .... umm... looking at her back bumper :D .
  13. Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    wow a corvette and a 4001..
    for playing bass in ur first band, on ur first gig...
    u sure have some nice gear.
  14. shizack

Aug 24, 2004
    My band has a very hot singer - too bad her boyfriend always shows up at practice. Wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't a nice guy - I feel guilty wishing he'd leave because he always helps us carry and set stuff up. And it's a country band :spit: .
    And Ant, later on down the road, the worst gigs make the best stories. I have a few recollections of some great gigs, but the horror shows make me cringe and laugh at the same time.
  15. ah well ive had my share of gigs before you know.

ive played keyboard in the school band for 3 years, played a total of 9 years.

ive had my share of transposer problems (we acommpanied some guys and gals for the school's performing evening, and i didnt know we were supposed to play a song in a different key. it didnt matter it was some mariah carey song or whatever, rubbish :D )

worst story.

our school had its 25-year anniversary and rented one of the biggest party outfits to celebrate it, and we, the band, were supposed to play 2 sets. 1st one for 1st and 2nd grade students (that means 12-14 years old in our school system), 2nd one to end the evening. in between some pretty well-known DJ (DJ Jurgen) was supposed to perform.

anyway, first set started. the concert room was pretty large, we had a good soundguy etc. all was great. but on the sides of the room, there were balconys. and during the mid of the 1st set, some kind of beverage came down from the balcony, spoiling on some guitars and monitors (not bad, they can have it) AND MY KEYBOARD!!! my price!! a 1500 dollar technics thing, i was 17 or something, it was very pricey and i was very proud of it. i was pretty afraid my keyboard couldnt handle it, but kept on playing anyway. i was terrified none the less.
    later i cleaned it, it turned out to be a coke. i dont know if we were playing that bad, or if it was an accident, but if ill ever find the moron who threw it over the balcony he will be anally penetrated with a mic stand or something.

ok so the keyboard still worked. o by the way i forgot, someone else performed. pretty funny. they were a girl group who cant sing and brought a concert tape. they were late too. they went playbacking, but the room was HOT! and HUMID! so humid, that water condensated in their concert stuff. their voices were away but the tape kept runnign and they were exposed as sleezy amateurs. i was laughing my ass off.

they were pretty hot by the way :) it was really funny, dumb blondes getting screwed by their own tardiness (if they had showed up earlier their devices could have adjusted to the heat).

anyway the organising committee got a call from DJ Jurgen, he was late, so we ended up playing first and he would close the evening.

so our set went great, we were almost done, big gig (2200 ppl, still a record for me :D) our last song was supposed to be rocking in the free world by neil young.
    right before the last song the House DJ interrupted us: YOU WILL NEVER GUESS WHOS HERE!!! DJ JUUUUUUUURRRRRRRGEEEEEEEEEENN!!!
    and the lameass turned on some beat. we were lucky. it was in the same tempo as rocking in the free world.

so we continued playing on his beat machine. pretty funny. too bad he started putting samples in half song and ruined us. his amp was more powerful than ours :(

anyway still a great gig.