1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first 5-string - decisions, decisions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bluebard, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    Hey bass dudes,

I'm looking to get my first 5 string (been listening to lots of Thundercat, and hearing his 6-string virtuosity makes me want to extend my range). It'll be strung E-C, not B-G, and it'll wear flats or pressurewounds. I've been looking at active basses, since all my basses til now have been passive (but active isn't necessarily a requirement). Gotta have a thin neck, because I have small hands and this is my first 5er.

Some basses that are in the running are:
    • Peavey Dyna Bass 5-string
    • Ibanez SR505
    • Yamaha BBN5 (passive)
    • Kawai UEBKAW1000
    • Westone Pantera 5 string
    Any recommendations as to which is the best choice? Or any other suggestions?

I'm trying to find something affordable but good quality - somewhere around the $250-$400 mark. I'm selling my Ibanez Artcore AFB200 to fund the purchase.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  2. Bergerman

Bergerman Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Springfield, OR
    I don't think you can go wrong with the Ibanez...great bang for the buck and the necks are great for those that prefer a thinner feel.

Bluebard and BurnOut like this.
  3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I have the SRFF505 which I believe has the same preamp as the SR505. To be completely honest the preamp is a little lacking. I use it in passive mode most of the time. I'm no sure the SR505 has a active/passive switch.

I may be biased because it's my bass, but I believe the Spector Legend series would be great for what you're trying to do and it's a great bass for the buck. The Legend 5 has two soapbars with a 2 band preamp. The spacing at the bridge is 16.6 mm (slightly larger than the ibanez) and nut width is slightly smaller (44.45 mm to 45 mm). If you're interested, the link is in my signature.

I have no experience with the other basses listed.

Bluebard likes this.
  4. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    If you're looking at Ibanez, I'd give the BTBs a look. Many different levels to choose from. I love both my 4 & 5 strings.

Bluebard likes this.