1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My First Act guitar: A tale of affection, loss, and love renewed... in one act

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by patplaysbass, Aug 16, 2012.

1. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    We've all seen them at Walmart, Target, Toys-R-Us, etc. Most musicians wouldn't touch them with a 20ft pole. I believe it was about 4 years ago that I walked into a shoe store and saw that they were doing a guitar giveaway, one of those fill-out-a-card-and-drop-it-in-the-box dealios. I almost always sign up for these, I've found that if I put my phone number and spam email address that I never check then they will never call me and I will never see their countless email offers. I didn't really think much of it at the time, but a few months later I got a phone call letting me know that I had actually won said guitar! It was pretty exciting, considering I don't usually win anything. A week later I had a package on my door step that could only be a guitar. So I open it up and find... a First Act LP-style guitar. Black with a bound neck/headstock and a Converse All-Star sticker on it. Not exactly what I was hoping for but a free guitar is a free guitar, am I right?

I noodled around on it for a few weeks, even going so far as to restring it (super serious, I know). It actually played decently well and didn't sound too bad when it was plugged in. It definitely wasn't a Gibson, but it held it's own. However, I eventually lost interest because I was taking sax/viola lessons for the 5 high school ensembles I was in at the time while also playing bass in a garage band. Talk about musically maxed out. The guitar went into the storage closet, without a case, for quite some time.

I'm currently transitioning between colleges and working in the mean time to save money. My parents let me move back in (lame, I know, but the free rent totally outweighs the uncool factor IMO), so I've taken on the task of cleaning out the entire house as a way of saying thank you. Last night I was going through that storage room and came across the First Act under a box of VHS tapes. Why anyone broke out VHS some time in the past 4 years is beyond me. I started playing it for kicks and giggles and much to my amazement, it was still completely in tune! The action was damn near perfect. It had obviously been thrown around a bit because it's a little beat up now, but aside from the strings being dead it plays and sounds like at least a $500 guitar. I'm extremely impressed. Does anyone else have a First Act instrument? I'm wondering if they're actually a fairly decent line, or if I just managed to get a good one.

It just goes to show that free instruments really are the best ones.

2. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I have heard that First Act has a "more professional" group of instruments in addition to the low cost ones. Although I don't have one of their guitars, I do have one of their cases. It is VERY nice. I've had numerous compliments on it and it's built like a tank. It's my favorite hard case.

[​IMG]

3. patplaysbass

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That looks solid as heck! Where'd you get it? I didn't even know they made upper end accessories.

4. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I got it at a Guitar Center in California (I forgot the city). I recall the First Act website was relatively uninformative (at least in years gone by). If you want to find out more, my suggestion would be to get a contact number and give First Act a call.

5. patplaysbass

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hmm, very cool. I'll look into it next time I'm case shopping.

6. My boy got a First Act guitar from another family one Christmas.
    It was a decent guitar. It tuned up fine, played fine and sounded
    pretty good. And it was the guitar that started it all for him.

Now, he is pretty handy with a guitar and is playing upper tier
    models: a Fender Strat and a Martin acoustic among several others.

One of his kid friends broke the First Act guitar. I guess they
    thought it was an El Kabong. I was miffed.

7. I adore my ME501.

IMG_0234.

8. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Heh, I just started noticing these things while shopping around in Target. Why not buy a Squier instead? Really.

9. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    First Act has their Wal-Mart guitars and then they have a custom shop where they make real instruments. Their biggest mistake was giving both of these the same brand name because they are definitely not the same.