1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My First Aerial Video Flight!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FL Knifemaker, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Take your Dramamine......

This flight was early morning in VERY overcast conditions. I think the camera was doing all it could do in compensating for the low light. If you don't watch the whole video, skip to the very end to see the aproaching storm!!

Several things I learned since this video and a second one I took yesterday...

First, I need to fly much smoother. In this video the wind was coming in blasts and my flying showed that!!

Second, I need to aim my camera looking more forward so I capture more of the horizon.

Third, thanks to RWP for getting me hooked on another hobby :D I'm already thinking about a better camera and other planes :)

http://vimeo.com/1683300

Zeeeee PLAAAAAAAAAAAAANE....

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Cool stuff, Neil. I'm pretty dizzy after watching it, but cool, nonetheless. And is that the great and mighty Jeep I see flashes of? :D

edit: From what kind of altitude is our vantage point? I'm guessing in the 200-300 ft. neighborhood?

3. That's Theodore, my old Wagoneer. The sand there is very deep and I often need 4 wheel drive!

The spot I flew from is only open on one side. There are light poles on one side and trees to the other. In order to land on the road, I have to whip the plane around as I decend. Then I overshot the road a little and stopped in the grass :) The plane is built to take a beating.

4. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Way to go Neil! That camera works really well. :hyper:

5. Thanks! I'm having a lot of fun with this. I'm not really all that happy with the video quality. I'm going to invest in a better camera and use the little FlyCam on our RC cars.

Here's my second flight. More light, more lakes, less wind, slighly smoother flight :) I'm glad I have the brushless motor power to get up above the trees quickly :)

http://vimeo.com/1684637

6. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    The camera I am using, a Polaroid t730, does OK but reds out in high light situations. Otherwise it's great. If you have any idea why it does this PLEASE let me know. I would love for it to do better. Brushless motors and LiPoly RULE! They are cheap and really work.

Any ideas about the vid quality here?

7. IMHO, with aerial videos, the problem is the light levels change very quickly and quite drastically. The camera is always trying to compensate as fast as possible. It goes from a whiteout to a blackout as the plane turns or changes direction. It seems like whenever the plane is flying along smoothly, the video looks good. I'm going to hit the pawn shops this week and try to find a better camera.

You might try making a sun shade for the lets. If the sun can't enter directly into the lens, it might help. My camera is mounted to my battery pack, under my wing and is aiming down. I need to make a mount for mine so I can aim the camera more forward so I capture more of the horizon. I'm sure that when I do this, I'll also capture more sun glare. A REALLY good camera would allow the use of filters. It might be possible to fab some sort of sun filter for a cheaper camera. I might look into that also.

8. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Interesting ideas, thanks. The camera I am using has nice quality unless it reds out in high light so maybe a shield would do the trick. There may also be a setting I am screwing up! :D

9. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I got a new one put together, check it out.

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Very cool. Thanks!

11. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Thanks. However the Utube compression kills the rez. :crying:

12. whats the range on these RC planes?

I would be too worried to fly it out over water!

13. Try Vimeo, the quality is much better.

14. The range is farther than you could see the plane. I try to fly a box or circle just within the range that I can tell what the plane is doing, then I fly another one in a little closer. I'm guessing about 1/4 mile, maybe a little more. I'll have a GPS on mine soon so I can tell exactly were it's been. According to my buddy and his model rocket atimeter thingy, I was just under 500 feet up at one point. I'm guessing that I'm no higher than 400 feet up in these videos.

I'd rather have it go down in the water than in the swampy areas but I'd rather not have it go down at all :)

15. These are nothing short of impressive.

16. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Thanks I'll check it out. Did you see this?

http://www.magtechinc.net/

17. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Looks like fun! I know that flying model planes has been around for years and years, but this is the first time I've seen it done with camera's attached recording the flight.. Is this a new growing fad amongst the RC flyers out there?

18. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Nice vid! The music in the background makes me think of the helicopter flight I took in Hawaii.. They had local Hawaiian music playing while we were flying over the volcano's.. Sit back and enjoy your flight with some good tunes! :p

19. I wouldn't say that it's new, it's just that the cameras are getting smaller and the power and efficiency of electric flight is getting much better. I can't wait to put the camera on our AWD nitro race car going around the local track. That's going to be insane :)

RWP,

That's a cool system. I'm going to check into it further :)

20. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Thanks, I just used Movie Maker to add tunes to the vid.

Please post that! :hyper: