Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My First Alembic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guitbass, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Guitbass

Guitbass Guest

Jan 22, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Just bought my first Alembic. The search for the ultimate bass has ended. I sold 3 of my basses to get this one and it is worth every penny. I can't begin to describe the perfection of this instrument. I strongly urge everyone to check into these instruments. I can tell you that they are all that there reputation carries and more. I can see now that there is Alembic and then everything else. Here is a picture of my new Mark King Signature Standard with Omega Cut and cocobolo top. I bought it down at Bass Central in Orlando, FL. Great shop.

2. Very nice! Alembic is my dream bass.

3. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Now... i'm... MAD:mad: Happy for you though. That is one sweet bass. IMHO some of the Alembics, like your Mark King, are the most beautiful basses. Maybe some day... maybe. Enjoy. Post some better pics if you get a chance. Congrats:bassist:

4. Guitbass

Guitbass Guest

Jan 22, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Close up of the front.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Classy.

6. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Guitbass,

Welcome to the club. There's no question that you'll enjoy many happy years with your new MK Deluxe. I think the Coco Bolo top suits an Alembic so well. Your bass is a true work of art. I'm also in Alembic nirvana as I just took possession of a custom Europa 5 string earlier this week.

Best Wishes,
    Bones

7. Congrats, I drooled over that particular bass for quite a while!

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    WOW!!!! nice:bassist:

9. Bee-u-tee-full!

Congrats - that's a fantastic instrument!

Jeff

10. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I've heard that Alembic headstock's are not-so-hot, but I've never seen one, since curiously (perhaps nefariously), no one ever shows the headstock in pictures, including you and even Alembic.com. Just thought that was a bit odd that every picture I've seen of one was from the bottom or cut off at the neck. But they do have a very nice tone. Congrats! Love the cocobolo.

11. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    wow.........too sweet.......me want!

there are pics of the headstocks on the site if ya look harder. like in the featured custom archives....I personally see nothing wrong with em.

12. That's beautiful.The first year Alembic started selling basses,about 1971?, I had a chance to buy one for about $1000.I couldn't swing it being 19 and making $3 an hour and I've been sorry ever since.I know what you mean about Alembics and everything else,they were awesome back then.Basses have come a long way since then but Alembics still get to me.Congrats.

13. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Congrats!! Can't go wrong with an Alembic! I have been playing on one for over 12 years and I still love it as much as the day it was shipped to me. If you ever get the chance and you are near Santa Rosa, stop in and pay them a visit. They love visitors and are great people. I got to visit the plant twice, once while my bass was being built and another time for my bass's first check up! Again, they are great people and love to show off their stuff. BTW, great choice of wood, my Distillate too has a Coco Bolo top, great looking wood. Best of luck with it!!!

14. Guitbass

Guitbass Guest

Jan 22, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Hey and thanks everyone for the kind words. I haven't taken a picture of the headstock itself. You can still see the bass (and the headstock) at www.basscentral.com/alembic.html. Just scroll down to the MK Standard 4 string. The headstock on mine is cocobolo on both sides with walnut accents over a maple core. Gold schallers and a brass Alembic logo. It's the standard "crown" headtock shape.

15. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Wow! sweet bass.

16. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Weeeeeeeeeee!!

[​IMG]

BTW - Who won the pool on how long it would take for me to find this thread?;)

CONGRATS MATT!! Saw your pictures at the club website. For this to be your first, you certainly smacked a homer outta the park.

Peace,

James

17. Ive seen a great deal of alembic headstocks in picture, and I think they look great.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sweet bass. Congrats! I have a pic of a different MK in my "cool basses" folder. Heck of a first Alembic!

What basses did you sell to get it btw?

brad cook