Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MY FIRST AMERICAN FENDER...!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by demolition, Apr 30, 2004.

1. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    Finally I got my first american Fender bass,Its a H/Way 1 Jazz Bass(crimson red),its been a long time coming.
    I started out with a 60's classic Jazz and it had a bad neck,so Fender offered to send me a new neck,But because so many of these basses have been coming back with bum necks the waiting list is like 7 months(ITS BEEN 4 ALREADY :bawl: )so I pulled the bass out of repair and went back to G.C.(I now work there)and I got a H/Way 1 insted.
    And much to my dismay they put it back on the floor to be sold to to unsuspecting sucker :spit: .
    So be thorough when buying a new bass,you never know what your getting.

2. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Wow :eek:

3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    This is why I build my own basses :D

4. I wanna see a pic :)

Crimson is a cool colour.

5. Kinda like the blown up (yes, there was melted stuff inside, and it was supposed to be "fresh out of the box") GK 1001RBII i bought and the "brand new" Boss ODB-3 with a bent/broken knob shaft and somebody's initials carved into the back that i got at THE SAME TIME as the GK? Yeah GC sucks, but you know what, i got my '97 MIA Jazz V from the one here in San Diego in 1997 and it's been my number one bass ever since.... even with GC's extensive "quality control", I've heard/played and seen some decent Fenders that came outta there... congrats on the new bass!!

6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I was very impressed with the quality of the Hwy1 Jazz I played. Torn between the burst and the crimson colors. Leaning alot more towards burst for more of a vintage look. Great bass and absolutely no single coil hum. I was amazed!

7. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    Virginia
    What is the difference between the Highway 1's and the more expensive Americans? What is the difference from the Mexican?

Scott

8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Congrats Demolition !

My Highway 1 JB is on the way too...
    (honey blonde for me)

Cheers,
    JL

9. Scott,

The main difference that I can see between the MIA and the Hwy 1 is the satin finish. I have been told by a trusty (?) GC salesman that they use the MIM pups, but I haven't been able to verify that. Anyone?

Randy

10. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX

the highway 6 is basically a MIM with a usa decal. MIM series hardware, no neck reinforcement, etc. That said, there's basically no difference (except for the decal, finish, and price) between the MIM and the highway 1.

11. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    The pickups are not the same.
    The HW1 is assembled in the USA, not in Mexico.
    And the HW1 comes with a deluxe gigbag.

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    String thru body option w/ability to adjust string spacing at bridge
    Straplock ready
    Graphite reinforced neck
    Frets dressed
    Rolled fingerboard edges
    greater color selection with alot of transparent colors available
    Case w/wrenches, strap, cord (vintage models)
    Better tuners (much better)
    No skunk stripe in back of neck

As for the difference between the MIM bass
    The ony differences I see is the bridge w/string spacing option.
    The body on the H1 only come in a matte type finish that is supposed to wear more as time goes on. There is no real big difference besides where it say's it was made.

13. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    OK, let's do it again :

The pickups are not the same.
    The HW1 is assembled in the USA, not in Mexico.
    And the HW1 comes with a deluxe gigbag.

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    So does the Deluxe MIM jazz bass and the p-bass special! :meh:

15. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    the regular 4 string jazz pickups (SD Antiqu, etc...) are drop in fit in the Hwy1. Based on my knowledge, they are not a drop in fit for MIM basses. I think...

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That was true a couple of years ago as far as the MIM bass was concerned but MIM basses were upgraded a year or two ago.
    They now have the same size pups and an alder instead of poplar body. Any after market pup will fit these newer basses!

17. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    There's also probably a better quality control on HW1 than on MIM. I'll be able to witness on that point in the very forthcoming days...

18. Just got back from playing a HW1 vs a MIM at the local Fender dealer (not GC). I preferred the particular MIM bass that I tried. They were both 4-string sunburst. The setup was much better on the MIM. If the HW-1 was set up better,the difference may have been negligible. Hard to tell.
    The HW-1 appeared to be heavier, but I didn't weigh them.

I didn't much like the satin finish; just accustomed to high gloss, I guess.

When I asked the salesman the difference between the MIA and HW-1, he told me that the HW-1 had "Mexican electronics".

So......that's my brief un-scientific comparison. If I ever buy a Fender, I want the Black '62 Reissue Jazz with stacked controls and tort guard.......or maybe the Geddy Lee. The MIJs, like the Geddy, have been impressive, IMO.

Randy

19. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX

oki, again. Say you have the mim fender parts, and you send them out to france to assamble it. It still is the same crappy MIM. Lets say you send it out to the armani factory in italy and have giorgio put it together personally. Guess what, still the same crappy MIM. Of course it will say Emporio armani and cost more, the same way the highway 1 has another decal and costs more.

I'm not saying that MIM basses are bad, i mean, some are pretty good, but the highway 1 is more of a MIM than a usa bass.

20. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Very well said! ;)