1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first amp upgrade!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basslover24, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Word up to all!
    So I've been playin the four-string thing for a couple years and the whole time i've been rockin off some ibanez jump-start amp I snagged at some yard sale. For shows I usually just borrow some guys equipment. So my situation is currently like this: I got a beautiful 99 J-Bass MIA and nothing to make it sound as good as it feels.

I'm looking for advice on my first upgrade. I'm thinking a combo thats powerful enough to jam in a band and maybe play some small clubs. I got around $1,300 saved up. I play a variety of stuff, but mostly rock (think Audioslave). I've heard some hype around some new combos from Ampeg, too.

Any advice appreciated!
    Peace

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    don't trust "hype".

you can find good combos from $500-$2000 each with different markup and performance. by what you've described so far I'm thinking a 112 combo with at least 200w. a good feature to look for is the "speaker ext" output so you can connect another 8 ohm cab to get more volume for bigger gigs.

some of my suggestions might be:

Used Yorkville xm200

traynor DB200 $499 http://www.musiciansbuy.com/Traynor-DB200-DynaBass-200W-Combo-DB200.html

Traynor DB400 $799 http://www.musiciansbuy.com/Traynor-DB400-DynaBass-400W-Combo-DB400.html

there are other combos closer to $1000 that would probably be great, like eden or aguilar IMO. but that leaves you less money, right now, for an extension cabinet. most of those combos have more total power. so you have to decide if you can afford to buy a bigger rig when you decide to play bars or louder than with friends, or if you will always be playing with friends in smaller rooms where 200w especially with an extension speaker should be fine IMO.

good luck!!

3. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    Fender 400 Pro. Plenty of power, all the features you could want, even a rack tuner. And you can add another cab to it down the road. It comes set up running 210's 350 watts at 4 ohms, but that amp goes to 2 ohm's and 500 watts. So you can add another 4 ohm cab and have gobs of power. $1099 at MF, but you could prob get GC or someone lower.

The Ampeg b115HP (go for the HPT for some nice tube warmth) is also nice, but not expandable like the 400 pro. But also cheaper. I say though if you got the cash and want to spend it, get an amp you really like that can grow with you.

4. Look in the classifieds here on this site. Most of it, I would play without hesitation. Talkbass members have excellent taste.