Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first amp which to get?(fender)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phishyd, Feb 2, 2005.

1. phishyd

phishyd

Nov 9, 2004
    Should I get a fender bassman 100 for $282 shipped( old model
    a fender rumble 100 for $300 shipped

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Unless you are really stuck on the Fender line, personally, I would look for something else.

I have heard that the Bassman line isn't worth much until you get to the 200 level and the Rumbles are cheap Bassman replacements. But I have NOT personally played through either of these amps.

What style of music do you play and are you gigging? That might really tell the tale.

:)

Joe.

3. phishyd

phishyd

Nov 9, 2004
    I am just learning. I have been renting a fender 25 and would like something bigger

4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Well, you are certainly heading in the right direction by looking for a bigger amp.

What kind of music do you wish to play?

Trust me, it makes a huge difference.

If you MUST buy the Fender I would go with the newer model, AMS has a scratch/dent one for sale for $239.95 shipped.

:)

Joe.

5. phishyd

phishyd

Nov 9, 2004
    I am into Primus, Phish, Dave matthews. I have't really learned how to play. So far I have just been playing by ears and trying to jam with friends. I am thinking about getting a book so I can start learning. I bought a Peavey Grind 4bxp about 3 weeks ago. My rental month is up so I need to buy something and don't have much money to work with? Any other suggestions? I dont care about name brands I care about whats best for the money and that I won't have to buy a new amp in a year or so. I kinda like cheesy model amps better then name brands.

6. phishyd

phishyd

Nov 9, 2004
    Any direction would be a great help. Also if you know of any bass books for a NEWBIE like me that would help. I am trying to find online stores with cheap prices I can find AMS, zzsounds and musiacins friend. Anymore I should know about?
    Thanx alot Ryan

7. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    Rumble 100 will give much more "bass" than Bassman 100, simply because of 15" speaker opposed to Bassman's 10" speaker. For a home practicing and quiet jamming with your friends Bassman 100 will be enough, but with a drummer even Rumble 100 with it's modest 100W might not be. At the end, it all depends on how loud is the rest of band.

If you like El cheapo, check Behringer. I personally hate it's sound, but you might just like it.

(edited spelling errors)

8. If you want to get the most for your money I would go to your local pawn shop and find a deal on a used combo. I wouldn't go into it knowing what I was looking for. Just try out different ones until you hear what you like.

With that said I have been happy with older Peavey models for practice and small jams when money was an issue.

I cannot comment on the Fender amps because I haven't tried them.

Oh yea, if you do know what you want there's always the For Sale Forum here on Talkbass or Ebay for used gear.

The best prices I have seen for new gear has been at Riksmusic.com

9. Since you're just learning and likely haven't decided on what you want out of your tone, I'd buy a used Peavey TNT115. Loud, reliable and cheap used.

10. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
  11. phishyd

phishyd

Nov 9, 2004
    Thank you all. This website has been a great help. I am leaning towards this Peavey Combo 210TX bass amp / carpet covered / w/wheels / rough but powerfull for $300. I like its sound but it has the carpet and burned and messed up cigerate holes all over it. Heres my local shops site that shows all there used amps on it anything look good to u guys?http://www.henrismusic.com/combo/ampxchange/

12. phishyd

phishyd

Nov 9, 2004
    Most are in good condition but they are trying to talk me into the Peavey really bad.

13. phishyd

phishyd

Nov 9, 2004
  14. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

{Shameless plug} Click on the link below in my sig for a great deal on a kick ass head. As for cabs, you can get a REALLY nice Avatar for $200ish (B210 or SB112). This setup will BLOW THE DOORS off of that old Peavey you were looking at (or most anything else in that price range)!

15. phishyd

phishyd

Nov 9, 2004
    Still cant decide. I am a picky shopper I do have until Feb 15 to decide.

16. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Check out an Ibanez SW100.

It sounds much better than a Behringer BXT1200 and only costs a few bucks more.

I have played through one a few times lately at a local guitar shop and they really are pretty nice for the money. They go for about $300.00- $320.00 at GC and have a ton of features.
    You can also hook up an 8 ohm extension cab to it.

For a cheap amp they are worth a look.

17. phishyd

phishyd

Nov 9, 2004
    thanx for the help