1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My first Attempt :/ ( not bass :( - )

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by luzceloffan, Jan 17, 2012.

1. I have always love to mod/repair electronics in guitar and basses, I'm not thye best but I know i'm good and this site and his member helped me to improve on it.

My dream is to build a bass some day, but I know I lack of many skills needed, however, I just gt a chance to do something like a Tune my guitar! hahahahaha ... ok bad joke ... a friend of mine has this old undated stratocaster, dunno if fender or not, but it's very weird.

It was the classic red body / white pickagurd guitar, but it was in a very very poor condtion, many pieces rusted as hell, pickguard totally cream of age and dirty as hell. here some picks as I started to dissasembly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So my friend told me he wants something like the Moore mustang (Sonic Youth) ... so the color is kinda green ... new bridge, replace pots, rewire the circuit, new pg, new jack plate, and for the finish we'll go tung oil over stain.

So I started to strip the paint, I didn't use any remover, I did pure sandind grease job :) and here is what we got under the paint ...

[​IMG]

Thanks to the many readings I did here, I saw that was two unmatched tops in that body ... since de low parto of the guitar where the cu is, has a totally different grain against the flat parts of the body ... so my curiosity won and started to sand and saw this ...

[​IMG]

So my thought was like ... well...maybe we got some gold in here ... and I kept sanding...sanding....sanding...*wrist massage*...sanding ... and got this at the end:

[​IMG]
    I already did the mod on the bridge cavity for the new one, so thats why there's something white on it.

Here is a preview over the natural color:

[​IMG]

Just to let You know, my friend wants to keep the white pickup covers over the black pincguard, btw ... that pickups are rare ... they are totally epoxied inside , any ideas on why is this???

and here is the color gradued at his like:

[​IMG]

For the finish I was able to get this here in México ... well ... not in my city ... I found it in a store in Monterrey .. so so so far ... :

[​IMG]

It is low gloss since he wants a kind of "matte" finish but with a good appreciation of wood and color, so I went this way 'cause of that.

Any comments, dislikes and whatever are allowed.

2. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Subscribed.

3. By Now, I'm cleaning Pickups ... since I'm waiting for my cloth wire to start wiring de pickguard, also I git a crack on the body where I use a paste for wood, so I'll replace it for epoxy -_-

[​IMG]