Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first bad GC experience

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MJ5150, Mar 18, 2004.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I went to my local GC yesterday to burn some free time, the one in Tacoma. I have often read other guys here at TB complain about thrashed instruments, beat up cabs, and trashed heads. I had never had this problem before. Mostly because I never knew what to look for, and partly because the gear at this GC was always in good shape. Here are some details of my trip yesterday, I was shocked!

1) Music Man Bongo.....Heard alot about this, and flipped out when I saw a beautiful orange five string hanging up on the wall. I picked it up, and the action was set so low that the strings were literally laying on the fretboard. No way to slap or pop on it. Fret buzz like crazy when I tried to play anything. It looked amazing, but sounded like crap.

2) Ampeg 810...after about 10 minutes trying to figure out that enormous Ampeg display they have, I got a B4R to power the cab. It sounded horrible. The speakers rattled, and buzzed. When I added a little volume, they all crackled, and popped. No audible sound from it at all. As I unplugged the bass I was playing, some dorky sales guy comes over and asks me what I did to the cab!

3) Ampeg BA210SP.....I have alot of experience playing this combo at a more local music shop. I figured I'd try a beat-up, hammered Warwick thumb through it. First off, half of the control knobs were missing, and a few would not even turn. Once I finally got a sound from it, it was horrible. I think the speakers in this thing were blown also. None of the effects worked, and the speakers crackled and made strange buzzing sounds every single time I played a note. Total piece of garbage. I tried several other Ampeg combos, and heads...each time the same result.

4) Basses....I found three Stingrays, and four Warwicks. Each one sounded like crap. The set-up was horrible. I am no master set-up guy, but even I can do a better job. The rest of the area was cluttered with entry level Ibanez's, and Yamaha's. They also had a few Spector Performers, but nothing nice at all! Nothing!

As I was preparing to leave....the head of the bass department, Mike, wheels in a Mesa box on a dolly. He unloads a SUH-WEET looking 115 combo. I immediately jump all over it with a Spector Performer, and start playing on it. It was awesome. Then, he comes over to me and says "Enjoy playing on that combo bro, it will be ruined by the end of the weekend" with this sad look on his face. It was like he was bringing out fresh meat for the lions. I felt so sad for him, and this fine piece of Mesa gear. If they didn't want $1300 for it, I was going to buy it.

-Mike

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well at least you have a Guitar Center to complain about. The biggest store in Jackson is Morrison Brothers Music. Similar stuff has happened at Mobro.

1. Acoustic 320 Amp- I saw this amp and asked the saleman to plug it into a Ampeg SVT410HLF. First he whined about that then he disappeared for thirty minutes. Suprisingly when I started to leave he appeared to tell how great that amp was. I told him I didn't want it and he was still ranting about it's greatness. Noisiest amp I have ever played.

2. Warwick Bolt On Thumb- Saw this and expected greatness, instead it had a setup similar to the Bongo you played.

Generally I think those guys are paid to sit around all day. With as much sitting time as they have they could setup every instrument/amp every couple of days.

Do the workers at your music stores do the show off move with every instrument you want to play. It goes like this

Me "Can I play that"
    Dude "Hold on"
    10 Minutes Later
    Dude "Which One"
    Gets it down, because the good basses are about 15 feet off the ground
    Dude "Which Amp"
    Plugs in and proceeds to do his best Impression of Eddie Wootenpastoriusclaypool
    Dude "This is a great bass"
    All the while I am thinking "Thats great now give it to me..."

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I've never had a bad experienc at GC.

Mostly because they never have anything there I want to try much less buy.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It was your first bad GC experience? It won't be your last, I assure you.

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Or because its the Rockville one...I like that place.

6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA

7. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    The more I read the GC hate threads, the happier I am that I've never been to one. I do all of my shopping in a little place about 20 minutes from here. Great place, not the best selection, but the guys there are great and we're on a first name basis. They never usually get any new basses in, but the stuff they get isnt that bad

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    GC rules.RULES!

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Up until today, I have had zero problems at GC. I guess this isn't a problem, just a bad experience.

I know a couple of the sales guys, and they treat me well. When I have bought stuff, they knock a few bucks off the price, or throw in a freebie without me even having to ask. Almost everytime I have gone in, they have had what I was looking for. I just prefer them since my local music shop is full of snobby boners who play off this "weren't NOT GC, we're a local store" baloney that I am sick of.

This was the first time I went to GC just to mess around. I normally go in ready to buy something after I check it out on the net, and here.

-Mike

10. I went to GC in the San Gabriel Valley (Los Angeles County) once. A friend of mine gave me a GC gift certificate, value $100.00.

I bought a gig bag for $75.00, which wasn't worth the money anyway. I asked to give me the balance in cash, which they refused to do so. A little ticked off I purchased a double guitar stand to fill up the $100.00.

I arrived home and found out that the top was for 3 and the bottom for 2 instruments. My first and last visit at GC.

Thanks, but nooooooooooooo thanks.

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I do fine at GC. I always seem to find something I want or buy. It probably depends on how each store is managed too.