Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first bass, and it's an Elrick NJS 4 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rubo, Feb 8, 2004.

1. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Hi, I just got my Elrick NJS 4 string two days a go, and I can't put it down for more then few minutes.

Specs:

Ash Body, Maple Neck, Wenge Fingerboard, Satin Finish, Bartolini 3 band EQ Pick-ups with passive/active switch.

Since many of the Elrick club owners are not new to bass playing, I'm probably one of the few who has never played a bass guitar and decided to go for a high end Elrick.

Well technically I had a Modulus Genesis 5 for a week, but I only picked it up twice to play it and couldn't get much out of it. i now know a little bit more aobut basses and techniqe so I consider this to be my true first bass.

The bass is very light I think 7.5 to 8 lb at the most. But what shines about it is the neck of course. I've been reading some of your posts here about Elricks and it's 100% true that it has the sweetest neck. Although I originally wanted to get the Fender American Deluxe Zone or Fender Jazz Bass, simply because it has a smaller neck, but this one is miles a head of the game.

Now the sound, it's very smooth - which I like, I'll be using it only for recording and mainly dealing with deep & Latin house with mixture of jazz as well. What I also noticed that this bass fits very well in the mix, which is exactly what I need. I have so many questions, don't know where to start.

1) On the pre-am there are two switches one for active/ passive the other one has three positions, my guess it's for panning maybe not. But I tried switching it around, I can't hear any difference in the tone. What does the switch do, and do I need to set up certain EQ setting to hear the difference?

2) About the wood, I know with time the tone of a bass changes - what are the characteristics of that change? Dose the bass gets darker sounding or brighter, or any other differences?

3) When I tried the Fender Zone the space between the strings and the fingerboard were different then on my Elrick, on mine the strings are a lot closer, since I'm a newbie I hear that buzzing / rattling sound sometimes when I don't hold the scale properly. Now is there any way to adjust this, and for a newbie which is better closer spacing or wider?

4) I'm gonna take lessons, the so sooner the better so while I practice by myself I don't learn any bad habits. Any idea what's the average cost of a bass lesson, and most importantly how many would I need. I know it's personal preference bases on a persons ability to learn, but to you guys when you started out how many did you have to take and at what point of time you felt it was enough and you can go on your own?

5) Now since I don't know any scales, how often or should I ask if an open string or note is used at all? Do I always have to hold a string (scale) to play a note or sometime you can play an open note as well - is this common in bass playing?

6) Can you guys recommend some good links related to Latin or groove type scales on the net where there they show how to play them. Or jsut a lot of different scales to give me an idea what type of scales are played in Latin groove type of music. Also maybe a good book /CD suggestion.

Sorry for the long post.

Cheers

P.S. Anyone knows a good bass teacher in the Toronto area?

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Nice bass! Especially for a first! I have always liked the Elrick design. There are lots of good bass players in the Toronto area. Will Jarvis is a great player and teacher. He is well versed in Latin Jazz styles. I'll PM you if I can find his phone #....

3. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Thanks Adrian, that would be perfect fit, I I could find a teacher who's into the same style as me. Any idea what are the prices in Toronto area for bass lessons?

Cheers

4. Orin, the bassist on the mike bullard show does private lessons while he films the show in toronto. the lessons are pricey tho.................$50CAN per lesson. heres a link for more info.

http://www.mocamusic.com/bassic/bassic.html

5. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Yes I know about him, but it's to price for me, plus I think he would not be a good fit for me, since he has probably tons of requests for lessons and my guess is he deals mostly with players who want to step into another level of bass playing and not complete newbies. I could be wrong of course.

Cheers

6. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Adrian, any luck finding Will Jarvis's number or email maybe, I tried the bell book, but no luck.

Cheers

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Nice bass.... Can you find a bigger pic??

8. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I can only do a close up of a certain area , but not the full body.

Cheers

9. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Call Humber College in Toronto and get in touch with the Music program. I went there years ago. There may be some Humber students interested in giving lessons.

10. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I want someone with years of experience and some knowledge, after all I'm paying for the lessons.

Cheers