Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first bass, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tobbemar, Sep 12, 2005.

1. tobbemar

tobbemar

Sep 12, 2005
    I've wanted to play bass for a long time, and I've finally saved up some money to get one.
    What I want is a four stringed bass under 500 dollars. The only one I've looked at is a Yamaha RBX270. I now ask you, is this a good bass to begin and continue to play at, or if you have any other suggestions please tell me, just have in mind that the bass cannot cost more than 500 :)

2. I don't know the exact price, but cheap Fender from Mexico or Japan can be great!
    Hmmm...Some Yamahas yes, Ibanez too, some are cheap..

Vince

3. got my MIM Fender Precision for $400 (my 1st bass). It was an impulse buy, but I got lucky; I am extremely satified with it. (just make sure you set up the truss rod, saddles, and the intonation. MIMs have been notorious for being set up badly out-of-the-box) Also, if you want a MIM jazz, it isn't much more (still well under $500)

Great step-by-step guide on setting up your bass

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    In my opinion, a Jazz bass is more versatile than a P bass. I played a P for several years before ever knowing there was another world of tones available. Check out the Essex megathread. The basses from Rondo are very good and compare to the MIM Fenders.

5. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    ibanez soundgear

you wont regret it

6. zandar

zandar

Jul 8, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I second the soundgear idea...it's pretty amazing the quality of bass you can get in the low hundreds these days. I bought a soundgear to play in my office at work and I'm actually really enjoying playing it. BUT make sure to buy some quality strings, the ones mine came with were horrible.

7. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    id go with a spector performer. its just decent enough that you wont have to upgrade to a better bass for a while, but its still priced very fairly and easy to learn on. i wish id have known about it before buying my johnson and rockbass basses. :crying:

8. I personally have a Yamaha, not that same one... I have a RBX765A, which is a 5 string... I've played a few other Yamaha's, and i'd give them pretty favourable reviews... they are great basses for the price... but my suggestion would be, instead of a RBX270... go for an RBX374, its a great sounding bass with a more versatile sound thanthe P-pickups on the 270... i reckon it will keep you satisfied for alot longer...

But, if your willing to throw in maybe an extra $100 you can get a pretty good used jazz bass from the TB classifieds... which, is what I personally would do...

But if the yamaha floats your boat (but you said its the only one youve tried so far), i say go for it, they make great basses...

But the most important thing I can tell you... go out to music shops and try as many basses as you can, only you know what you will like

9. That's a pretty subjective question to ask.. But then again, who here isn't guilty of that? Hands please?

Anyway, I think what you should do, is give us a list of musical styles you play, things you look for in a bass (ie. body contour, wood selection, pickup patterns, etc. etc.) and then, we'll do our best to suggest to you, an awesome bass. Or, we can just keep naming our favorite bass for under $500.

Also, don't forget about the used market too bro. You could probably get your hands on an awesome used American Made bass for that or a little more.

~Ryan

10. well, deathbloomslife... because he said it was his first time buying a bass... i just assumed he wouldn't know too much about pickups, woods and that sort of thing (correct me if im wrong)... And I don't think suggesting a Fender jazz bass is biased... it is widely accepted as a versatile bass that will go with any genre, and being a quality instrument is bound to last him for a long time... which is everything someone should be looking for in their first bass... and besides, if you get him to answer those questions, I bet someone will suggest a jazz anyway

11. Hey, I wasn't bashing anyones answers, I'm sorry if it came off that way, I truly am. I just see alot of biased opinions on here, and alot of Fender products being pushed, and not everyone likes Fenders. I just want him to know that there are more options out there than just Fenders.

I just assumed he would relate the pickups to one of his favorite bassists, or favorite band's bassist.

~Ryan