1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My first bass: Boogie Bodies #14

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafael, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Rafael

Rafael

Feb 4, 2008
    Seattle
    I thought I'd share the story about my first bass. I hope this isn't off topic here....

I grew up playing the family piano and a couple of years of viola lessens at public school in Bothell, WA, but I mostly lived the life of a "rock star" vicariously through my high school buddies.

When I moved back to Seattle in the late seventies I once again fell in with a group of people who happened to be musicians, and it wasn't long before I started playing guitar.

Realizing that I didn't really have the talent to compete with the guitarists I hung out with I decided to try the bass, and went shopping at the local pawn shops for an inexpensive first bass.

Wandering into Palace Loans I spied a likely suspect hanging on the wall, a beautiful all birds eye maple Boogie Bodies P-bass with Bartolini High-A pickups. When I inquired about the bass, the owner barely acknowledged my questions, only offering that the bass was "a Fender copy."

I offered the guy $200 bucks and walked out the door with the bass, in its case, and never looked back....

For years I used it as my primary gigging bass, but as I got older the weight of the thing became too much to bear, so I only occasionally pull it out for shows, relegating it instead to studio work. My friends like to borrow it for recording as it sound amazing!

It's been hard finding out much info about it, since Boogie Bodies isn't really functioning as they were back in the day, but this one is serial #0014. I've seen some other Boogies but none that were birds eye body/neck/fretboard. If anyone know anything about the early history of this bass I'd love to hear it.

Here is a picture of it [there are a couple of silly mods I've semi-reversed over the years evident]

BoogieBodiesBass.jpg

2. thebisch

thebisch

Sep 24, 2006
    That thing is AWESOME! IIRC Boogie Bodies is sort of pre Charvel, Charvel.

3. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
  4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Boogie Bodies morphed into Warmoth. Is that true?

5. Rafael

Rafael

Feb 4, 2008
    Seattle
    Looks like the latest reincarnation of Boogie Bodies only does guitar necks/bodies...too bad. A buddy of mine has a tele body guitar the same as my bass, solid birdseye maple...

I _love_ this bass, the pickups are awesome, brass nut/bridge for tone and matching knobs, anodized aluminum pick-guard. Unfortunately when I played in a alt-funk band back in the early 80s I screwed a bridge pickup onto the body and poked another hole in the pick-guard for a second volume, plus another little hole for a phase switch....oh well, the indiscretions of youth!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021