1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

My first bass build at American School of Lutherie

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by slowburnaz, Feb 14, 2018.

1. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    If they do, I haven't seen it used yet.

2. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    DAY 7

Well, the last day was simply installing the electronics and some final setup (neck relief, intonation, etc)

What an awesome experience this was! I learned SO much in such a short amount of time. Charles and Pablo were outstanding teachers, and handled any and all problems we ran into with ease and grace. As many of you may know, Charles is a legend, and I was honored to spend so much time (seven days in a row, averaging 12 hours per day) with him learning this craft.

20180217_182410.jpg

3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    How’s it play? What are you planning for a finish?

4. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ

Plays great, actually... which to me is surprising, really, given its the first time I've ever shaped a neck, installed frets, or even levelled and dressed frets.

I'm going to give this one an oil finish of some sort. Likely tung oil.

Do any of you have any recommendations for oil finishes? Also, given the ebony dust inevitably got everywhere, are there any ways you recommend to get clean the bass up a bit? I imagine it'll come down to a lot of sanding with fine grits, but anything else?

5. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Shop vac. Then grain raising and sanding should get the rest.
    Great looking bass, congrats!

6. RNG1

RNG1 Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Cool great job and sounds like a really rewarding experience

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021