1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My First Bass Build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stickk, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Dig it

55 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. Dislike it

29 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Building my first bass! Here are some pics.

Bass Body - Shaped like an Alembic Triple Omega Series II (made it out of ash; what a grain!):
    3345077189_7c47c6c557_b.

Wood Color - Minwax Colonial Maple (looks better in person)
    3345914206_716c1de9b1_b.

Electronics - A Precision Bass humbucker with a Jazz Bass bridge pickup. A killswitch is wired, haven't wired the series/parallel switch yet.
    3345080377_90b4563926_b.

Neck - A fretless Precision Bass neck with a '70s decal on it. The fingerboard is ebonal (I'm poor, I couldn't afford ebony).
    3345082187_a6693ec572_b.

Inlay - I'm inlaying this at the octave: The Eye of Horus. This is to represent that from death comes life (this bass was originally a black P-bass). For Horus's father, Osiris, impregnated his wife Isis when he was dead (after being slain by Set [Egyptian mythology, read up on it]).
    p8_inlayeyeofhorus.

Tell me what you think!

2. MrMe

MrMe

Aug 26, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    I think this belongs in The Luthier's Corner.

3. I think I'll be interested in how this project turns out...

4. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    In a good way or a bad way?

5. In a good way. It will be interesting to see pics when it's finished. I kinda dig that body shape. Just be sure the lower horn allows access to the higher frets.

6. Cool stuff, I like the symolism of your inlay especially.

7. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Thank you.

8. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I like the concept and think the inlay is very cool... I am skeptical as to how a P-Bass headstock is going to look on an Alembic style body. Hardware is going to be critical for aesthetic purposes... What are you using?

9. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    I like that big booty shape. Makes me want to slap some bass...

;)

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Body style is not my thing, but it looks like a very cool project!

11. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Fender Tuners, and a stock Fender bridge. Eventually I will replace the bridge with a Kahler tremolo. All the routing for the electronics in going in the back also, so there won't be a control plate. I'm making pickup covers out of ebony for the pickup set, so the pickups are going to look "alembicized." The body looks really good with the Fender headstock suprisingly. Then again, John Entwistle's Fenderbirds also looked good.

12. Projectile

Projectile

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm not too fond of that body shape. It's a bit over the top for me, but to each his own. I've used Minwax's colonial maple stain before and never liked it... too muddy. The eye of horace is awesome though! Going to be a PITA to inlay, but worth it IMO.

13. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    I have to say, Minwax Colonial Maple doesn't work well with all woods. For instance, I made a Jaguar body out of maple (that is soon to be my tenor bass), and when experimenting with the stain on spare blocks of maple, it didn't work well (this could be because maple is a hard wood). But it works really well with ash. And yes, the Eye of Horus will be a PITA, but it will definitely be worth it.

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    +1

15. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    :D.

16. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    HOT..Don't let anybody discourage you from your goals. as far as the "ebonal" fingerboard they sound great I had one for years.

17. Yeah that Fender headstock gonna look weird, if you've been comfortable to cut up the body then I think you should have a go at messing with the contours of the headstock too. There isn't that much room to play with but I'm sure there's something you can do with it, will help a tiny wee bit with the balance too.

18. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Overall I like the concept. A few critiques if I may; Deeper in-cuts on the upper & lower horns and Hipshot ultra-lite hardware to help with balance issues. A tweak to the head stock might prove more aesthetically pleasing.
    have fun.

19. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    How should I cut the headstock? Like a '51 P-bass?

20. Very nice!

I love the Alembic style body.

I think it would would look cooler if it had dual P's or dual soapbars, instead of a PJ. Just a suggestion.