My first bass cabinet...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kasuals, Aug 1, 2001.

1. kasuals

Jul 20, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I beseech thee o' wise bass gurus... :)

I am purchasing my first bass cabinet in the coming week. To be honest, I'm not too sure what to do... I hear alot of hearsay about all these cabinets... and I know that trying them out is the best way to find out what I like, but unfortunately I don't really have that option.

I'm restricted by budget, and I don't really have the luxury of going down to my corner music store and trying out a bunch of different cabinet setups. I'm curious about a no-name company (or at least I've never heard of them) who make cabinets. I found a 4x10 cab for under $170. Now, I know that for the price, it probably isn't the best, but I'm really workin' on a tight budget. I was wondering if anyone could give me a personal opinion(s) on the following cabinet:

Any input would be great... I'm just kind of jumping into this, and I'd like to make sure I at least have some idea of what I'm doin' ;)
  2. Hmm.. i'd advise you to be causious..

$ 170 for an 800w cab ? hmm.. personally i don't trust it that much.. :(
  3. Hello Kasuals and welcome to Talk Bass.

I've visited the URL you suggested. On the face of it the cabinet looks OK: really quite good, in fact. There must, I feel, be a note of caution as AlodoX says. I don't know what $170 is in £UK but I can't help thinking that their price for this cab is amazingly cheap. That in itself doesn't make it a bad deal but......

I'd ask what brand / model of drive units they use, and the length and diameter of the port as shown in cab centre, the thickness of timber used, etc. Then try to raise, bgavin, on theses boards. He's a speaker cab guru and would be able to work out if the cab's likely to be any good.

Having said all that, if you're on a tight budget and you're not going to be driving the cab that hard (say 100 / 200 watts) then I really can't see there being that much of a problem.

If you get one let us all know your views.

Rockin John
  4. kasuals

Jul 20, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I'm getting more information on it as we speak. :)

Question though... what are some good resources for learning the electronic theory that goes into cabs/amps? Like dealing with ohms, etc.? I'd really like to have a basic understanding.
  5. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Just research some of the older threads here. You can learn volumes form what has been posted in the last year. I know I have. If you cant find what you want to know, which I seriously doubt, there are plenty of great resource people here that will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Good luck and welcome to TB!

6. $170 = £ 117 :D

that's amazingly cheap for a 4x10 800w cab 'er ?
    i mean... i paid Dfl 1795 ( about £ 500 / $ 700 ) for my 4x10 500w cab ( Eden CX410 ).... if you get my point..
  7. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    wow no! 170 pounds is like $350-$400 or so, which is low end but not quite in the crap range as far as 4x10's go.

but why do you say you don't have the luxury to try out different cabs at a music store? it would be a huge mistake on your part to not do so, IMO.
  8. Kasuals, I've got to go with Cat on this: it REALLY WOULD be best to try cabs out first. But if you can't, you can't. Other than trying my earlier suggestion I can't think how else you can proceed. Unless you just want to jump in and buy it, of course.

To your second point, you cannot make any progress with electrical theory (which, of course, includes electronics) until you have a working knowledge of Ohms Law. Fortunately, Ohms Law is relatively simple. It takes in 3 variables:

Potential Difference in Volts - designated V; Current in Amps - designated I; Resistance in Ohms - designated R.

It works such that if you pass exactly 1 Amp through a resistance of exactly 1 Ohm you will get exactly 1 Volt dropped across that resistance. Arithmetically, that equates to:-

That little sum can be rearranged in two more ways:- R=V/I and I=V/R

Learn that well and you've gotten one foot on the ladder.:D

Why not try your local library for help in this direction, too.

Good luck.

Rockin John
  9. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Try a search on speakerhole - you will find about 3 threads or so