Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My First Bass Guitar and Post.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gLaDiAtOr, May 29, 2004.

1. Hello everyone, i'm new to these forums so be nice to me :)

I have been playing Bass Guitar since I think June last year. For that period of time I have hired a Bass Guitar.

I am now ready to purchase my own Bass Guitar. My budget is $1000 and I am from Australia. I went to my local Music store and I found a couple basses that I liked, and sounded quite good, they where the....

Ibanez Eda 900 which was $945.00 including Gig Bag
    Ibanez Btb 400 which was $1049 including Gig Bag.

I am very close to pruchasing the Eda 900, I like the look of it, it sounds good.

I just started playing a bit of slap bass so a bass that is Slap, user friendly would come in handy.

If you guys could just reccomend one of those bass guitars, or possibly another one, that is around my budget would be muchly appreciated.

Joe aka gLaDiAtOr.

2. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    hey
    welcome to talkbass,

Im also from Australia, what part are you from?

Umm
    im not sure which one u should get but what ever feels comfortable and sounds cool i guess

wait for some of the more experienced bass players to tell you some of their thoughts!

3. I'm from Geelong, what about you?

4. I'm liking the EDA series body design, kind of wild, I like it 8). Most of the folks I've chatted with like their BTB's just fine. They both look like fine choices.

Some similarly priced basses:
    Yamaha BB series?
    Maybe a used G&L?
    A low end Shecter?
    http://www.guitar.com.au/

5. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    The EDA has a weird feel to me but I like it more than the BTB, I just find the BTB to be too big. Soundwise I didn't hear much differance in them honestly. it really just narrows down to which you prefer, not really what anybody else has to say about it, my GSR100 does me fine, I like it more than the FBass I played.

6. I also just want to know if I could get a better bass for a bit extra?

7. thomas85

thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    get a BTB they own serious hardcore or go to a cash converters or something i saw a perfect spector at one for 600 bucks and on there site you can email the store for what your looking for and it send it to all the stores pretty good saves looking, and id take spector over a BTB 300 anyday

gelong hey... i hope you hate collingwood as much as me
    ... GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Go Port, i'm a Port supporter and I am hugely happy with there peformance today.

Hm, what about the Eda900?

9. By the way, what is a Spector?

10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    The EDA is a plastic bass, the btb are the top basses from ibanez in every price range they are. they also come with bartolinis and a good pream, since is your first bass i would recomend it due to the sound variety, and even if you dont like it now, the time still running, you'll find it little more clasy in a few days

11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Spector is a high rank brand the same as warwick.

12. thomas85

thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    spector is real good not as ugly as a warwick tho coz those suckers are ugly as www.spectorbass.com is the site for em another Q: what type of music do you play or aspire to play and are oyu considering 5 strings or just 4?

13. At the moment I will just be using four strings. I just play the music that my music teacher gives me or some music that i can play such some Metallica or maybe a bit of rock, it ranges.

I did not know the Eda was made out of plastic, i thought it was made out of Luthite, is that a plastic?

14. thomas85

thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    yeah luthites is some kinda plastic that smells like petrol so i hear, i also hear the paint wears off it after a while, go wilh a spector or a yamaha i say, ibanez are good for a while and then e i duno im not an ibanez fan theres better bang for buck in a yamaha bb404 or 604 if you wanna stretch it money wise but try them out coz people like different necks likei hate the soundgear ones on ibanez way to skinny i reckkon but try it out

15. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Go for the BTB. Better made, better electronics, a lot more versatile.

Or try and track down an ATK - best bass Ibanez ever made.

Russ :bassist:

16. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
  17. I must say, welcom to talkbass.

As my suggestion, I advise that you play every bass you see. Don't just focus one one brand or model. Try every bass you can find, and then once you have played a lot, in retrospect, you should be able to choose wiser.