My First Bass...hopefully

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Anita Bass, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Anita Bass

Anita Bass Guest

Feb 16, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I am a senior in high school that has been playing a school bass since 6th grade. Now that my parents see that I am serious they are ready to drop some bucks on a bass and a bow. Since this is my first bass they do not want to go overboard and have to mortgage the house.
    I have found an Eastman VB305 Andreas 3/4 Bass for $3700. The string shop will include a decent bass case. If I buy the bass I can also get a new Marco Raposo French bow, nickel grade, weight 130.0 gr for $325 that was selling for $695. The bass sounds awesome. Should I jump on it or keep looking?

Any input is appreciated.

2. Anita, how long have you been looking? Are you looking for a carved bass only? It looks like you are. Is that $4000 W/ bow & case your limit? Give us an idea what you know about shopping. Try to read up on all the stuff on this site about shopping for a bass, then maybe let us know what you, personally are looking for in a bass: size, ( string length ), genre of playing...jazz, classical, whatever. Any inf. that we should know to help us help you!
  3. But Anita did ask the specific question whether the Eastman bass she saw is a good value. I'm not competent to say, and I hope someone else who is will jump in here.
  4. Anita,

I bought an Eastman B305 about a year ago, and I absolutely love it. I've played a ton of very nice basses since then ($10k-$34k...and up), and I think that for it's price it has some characteristics of much more expensive basses. In fact, when I bought it at Robertson's in Albuquerque, I took the Eastman, a couple Romanians, and a Hachez (an incredibly great bass,just so I knew what I was shooting for) to the recital hall. The Eastman had a darker, warmer sound than other basses in its price range. It was a little uneven, but I liked the quality of sound, so I bought it. After replacing the sound post (the factory one wasn't fit very well) and putting on a set of Obligatos I'm REALLY impressed, and it plays very evenly over the board. I've been shopping for a more expensive bass in Seattle, KC, and Albuquerque, and I have to say that every time I come home after playing great basses, I'm pleasantly surprised at the refined sound of my Eastman.

A couple weeks ago, I saw a new B305 at Gruen's Guitars in Nashville for $2700. Of course that doesn't include a bag and setup. A dealer, Lou Newman in KC, also had a really nice one with violin corners, but I'm not sure what he's charging for it (913-681-8676). A great setup is really important, and worth the extra bucks in my opinion. I paid $3800 for mine and it included a deluxe Mooradian bag and a great setup. They dressed the fingerboard, lowered the nut slots and recut the adjustable bridge until I was totally happy.

I hope that this was helpful information.
  5. kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Don's narrative contains a lot of good specifics on the Eastman. i would just like to add that I notice you are in Austin, TX. I don't know if you checked out Violin's Etc., but you should as they usually have a good inventory of DB's that may provide good comparisons.
  6. Anita Bass

Anita Bass Guest

Feb 16, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Thanks to everyone that gave me feedback on the Eastman bass. After I posted my question I found the link to the Newbie stuff and found a ton of good information there. In response to Kip I've been looking for the past year for a bass. I've gone to Becktell, Violins Etc.,Westbank and searched on ebay. The great thing about living in Austin is I don't think you can wrong with any of the string shops I mentioned.

Guess I have to change my screen name from Anita Bass to Igota Bass.

Thanks Again,