Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My first bass...if I could only know what it is!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by twiz, Sep 15, 2003.

1. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I started a previous thread regarding where I should buy this baby, but now that I've got it, I'm starting a new "what kind of bass" is this thread. Here are some pics. Also, any guesses as to what this type of bass would sell for (just so I can feel like I got a decent deal) would be helpful!

Thanks!

2. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    another...

3. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    and yet another...

4. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    here's one more ;D

5. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    last one

6. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    It must play 'cause you bought it. You got a good deal. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. It looks good to me but, I'm a poor judge of good deals...:meh: I can't identify them either - bases or good deals.

7. garron

garron

Jun 26, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Is there any kind of a label or any story from the seller?

8. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Looking throught the f-hole with a mechanic's mirror may help you find some less obvious labels or clues as well. Bass makers have a little more fun than the violin crowd with internal labels, pics of pin-up girls, etc...

My gut feel is "German factory bass", but I could be way off. I'll bet someone will come by & recognize that purfling on the back.

9. Looks like an American plywood to me... the f-holes and tuners are like Kay. Only the gamba corners and the looped purfling in the back table bothers me.
    The top has a different colour than the back and the ribs ( which are almost blond, as in blond Kays ), either it has been refinished or varnished. Strange...

R2

10. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    i went to my first lesson today with a truly outstanding master of the instrument. he said it had been a kay-era american bass. no markings inside. it had been badly stripped but it was a fine beginner bass and thankfully my pal gary at stein on vine will help me with upgrades as i improve.

what a fine experience!

thanks guys

11. Twiz, this is a stripped down Epiphone! 1950's. American....I always liked their F holes. 100% laminated. For my $ the best laminated bass made in this country!

12. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Thanks so very much! My new bass finally has a name!

I've already come a really long way on the instrument from not even knowing how to hold it. Having a fine musician to instruct has really helped.