1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My First Bass Is On Its Way

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by csacwp, Sep 28, 2009.

1. csacwp

csacwp

Sep 27, 2009
    Hello to all. This is my first time posting on this board, but I've already made a post on the amps board.

I play guitar but I got tired of watching my friends who play bass hog all the lows, so I got myself a ~1990s MIM fender p-bass.

I'm very excited but don't really know what to expect. I've been trying to choose and amplifier but I think I've got that figured out now. Is there anything I'm going to have problems with firstoff. Maybe some sore fingures? Also, I'm very tempted to pick bass instead of playing with my fingers. I've read that this is ok but it creates a different type of sound. it's tempting because when it comes to picking my right-hand technique is there.

Thanks in advance for any advice I get and cheers- this is an awesome forum. :)

2. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    Welcome! A Fender was my first bass, too.

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You should do fine with that bass. You need to learn both fingerstyle and pick - they sound very different.

4. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    picking bass and picking guitar take somewhat different approaches. I encourage you to try both and see where you are comfortable.

You might blister a bit if you learn fingerstyle at first. It's not without it's benefits, callouses keep you from blistering as easily.

one of the things that I notice from people who are picking up bass for the first time, especially if guitar is their first instrument, is that they are surprised by the size of a bass guitar. You should get past that fairly quick.

One last thing. Approach bass as a totally new instrument. Simply transferring what you do from guitar to bass may serve your purposes, but learning to play bass will help you become a more well-rounded musician.

Best of luck and search is your friend

5. Welcome to a whole new world of big fun!

6. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Welcome!

7. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Fender is just so cookie cutter though, should go with a Danelectro Longhorn. :p

8. Well done with the P Bass, great first bass. Good luck with the amp, I would be a little conservative with amount you spend and the overall size of the amp. If you stick with bass, your tastes are likely to change, so I always advise being a bit conservative at first (like you were with the MIM P Bass).

I play a lot of guitar, so using pick on bass comes pretty natural, and that's great because it gives you not only another tone but another technique approach as well. I agree with those who say put the pick down and try everything you do with fingers as well. In the long run, you'll be glad you did.

9. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    +1 to learning both styles. Like someone said, put the pick away at first and do as much as you can fingerstyle to get used to it.
    Is it going to hurt? Yeah, possibly-it might hurt, you might get blisters, but stick with it. You'll know how to play 2 different ways which definitely helps generate more tonal variations.

I'm the opposite, I have to push myself to use a pick. I'm MUCH more comfortable playing fingerstyle because that's how I learned to play. I remember when I was buying my first bass nearly 30 years ago. I was looking at the picks in the big glass jar near the cash register and the guy said "real bass players dont use picks". I was young and so happy to be getting a bass, I didnt bother to question him.
    My loss, though.

Who knows? You could still end up using a pick most of the time but you're definitely better off learning both of the techniques.

Welcome to the low end-you'll like it here!! :)