Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my first bass: Johnson J-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SilenceFiction, Feb 3, 2004.

1. SilenceFiction

SilenceFiction

Feb 3, 2004
    well its my first bass guitar and i've been playing for just over a month now. I'll admit there is quite a bit i dont know about my guitar and i wanted to make sure some thing are normal.

The reason for this post is, I have a question about tuning. Every other day and sometimes each day im retuning. Is this common with low priced beginner guitars and even higher quality guitars? Should i be cautious or worried at all?

2. I know a guy that has a Johnson Pbass and he doesn't have to retune all the time. Maybe it's weak tuning machines?

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    That depends on a lot of factors, such as humidity in the air, how much it is subjected to climate changes, your playing style, it is even possible that the strings may not have enough wounds on the tuner post. At any rate, it doesn't seem to me that tuning it once a day or two is excessive, so I wouldn't be worried about it.

If you use a tuner with the cent display, you may notice you knocking them slightly out of tune from song to song, I know I have!

PS, welcome to talkbass, and enjoy your new bass!

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Are you leaving it in your car, near a window or anywhere else it could get hot?

How about in a garage or somewhere it could get cold.

Changes in temp arent good for the instrument.

Peace
    Nick

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Is there an echo in here?

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    =)

Sorry "I'm Cold", but I just figured it was a good idea to stress that.

Ive come across too many people who would bring their guitar into the store back when I worked at GC in a case that was hot (from being left in the car) and theyd ask us why their new guitar wouldnt stay in tune.

People dont realize sometimes how bad that basement/car weather is. They figure thats the not the weather/humidity changes we warn against sometimes.

I just finished a paper, its 10 am I have class at 6:15. Im gonna go sleep now.

Peace
    Nick

7. SilenceFiction

SilenceFiction

Feb 3, 2004
    I guess it would be temp changes. I have about an hour drive to my GFs house and the guitar goes with me whenever i go there. With the nasty cold weather of late, the guitar could be going through cold and hot stages (from the cold car to my GF hot house).

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    "hot GF house" sounds so much better.... lol

9. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    You might want to make sure you don't leave it in the car, direct sunlight.... :p

Another thing you should know about new strings is that they need to stretch out. When I change my strings, I always pull them up and run my fingers along the bottom of them to stretch them. I do this GENTLY though as it isn't too hard to just tear a string off (and I've seen guys get pretty nasty cuts from it). Doing this will usually drop the tuning of the string by a couple notes so it shows how new strings will get out of tune just from playing. Once you've put in a few hours of playing your strings should settle in and stay in tune. If not then you may have a problem with your tuners/action/etc.

Good luck with your new bass and welcome to TB.