1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My First Bass Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B4MV, Apr 30, 2009.

1. hey everyone.

just want your opinion on what would be a good first bass. i have been playing a bit at school on a yamaha RBX170 with a fender rumble 25 and like the sound.

but am wondering which you think would be better? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Standard-P-Bass-Special-4-String-Bass-Guitar-510569-i1146467.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GSR200-4-String-Bass-100463976-i1150632.gc

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-LX200B-Series-II-Bass-Guitar-?sku=512228

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-IJXB190-Electric-Bass-Jumpstart-Pack-519527-i1168529.gc

or any other suggestions.

i will most likely also be getting a fender rumble 60 amp
    suggestions on a different amp are welcomed aswell. i just need something that will work in a jam session but still be quiet enough for room practice.

i play red hot chili peppers a lot. but enjoy listening to metallica and other metal. (if that makes a difference)

cheers.

ps. not sure if the links will work

2. If you're going with Ibanez - look at the SR300's instead.

I wouldn't get a jumpstart pack - get the amp, and cab separate.

Go try them out, and as many kinds as you can at your local GC or music stores first - see what feels/sounds right.

3. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    Look a the squier classic vibe basses. They do 2 models of Precision basses and 1 jazz bass.

4. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Any of those basses would be a good choice, but I advocate for thumping around on basses you can find locally and picking up one that feels right. The internet is a great tool for getting exactly what you want when it cant be found locally, but seeing as you don't really know what you want, find something that speaks to you and go from there.

There's nothing wrong with a jumpstart pack if it feels right, but know that there is essentially no resale value in those instruments, especially right now, so if you decide that you would like to keep on with bass, you will essentially have to start from scratch.

Unless you would rather modify your bass to your needs, which can be a rewarding choice for when you know it's time and you need something more.

5. Freelancer

Freelancer

Apr 6, 2009
    Tucson, AZ.
    I would also like to second the Ibanez SR300 for a starter bass.

Here's a GC link for some overall info and fluff, http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-SR300-Bass-Guitar-104811674-i1392771.gc

Since you mentioned metal, the SRX line is decent choice as well. I have one and love it. Here's an older GC exclusive model:http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-SRX2EX1-4-String-Bass-Guitar-103862215-i1168678.gc

I've PERSONALLY never had much luck with Squires in the past and have been quite jaded with them. I'm sure they're MUCH BETTER than my attempt at them 10 years ago. Wouldn't hurt to try them out.

I would recommend though that since you started out on a Yamaha RBX170, you should try and stick with one. Especially when first starting out, you need to keep as many factors consistent in order to limit frustrations of learning the nuances of a new standard and feel. I also started out on an RBX170 ten years ago before my hiatus. It's a fine starting instrument although if you want one a bit better you can try this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-RBX374-Electric-Bass-Guitar-519038-i1150344.gc

Going to feel a bit different in weight along with different pickups from what you're used to, but the important factor of a familiar neck.

Both the Yamaha RBX374 and Ibanez SRX2EX1 and SR300 have 2 band active EQs for a bit of tone adjustment but require a 9-volt battery to operate. The Squires in general are mostly passives. Which is easier since you wont have to worry about an extra power source.

• I would highly suggest that you set a total budget AND DO NOT WAVER ON IT! If your parents are buying this for you then discuss an acceptable budget so you know what range your looking for so your ship doesn't sink on game day.

Don't tempt yourself and look beyond your budget as "window shopping" is a sure fire way to get gas and cause a hell of a lot of trouble with G.A.S.(gear acquisition syndrome.)

Since you are shopping for an amp as well you need to balance said budget with your amp and instrument together. Which means make sure you talk to your parents and ensure the budget is realistic enough to actually allow you to purchase both to a certain degree.

With the budget in mind research the instruments and amps that fall within these parameters. If your parents are paying, then I highly suggest they also join in the researching process. Not every budding musician is blessed with a family of musicians so it can greatly help the effort on both parties in your parents have a good starting knowledge to help make a well educated decision. This can really help the budget building process as well.

Once you feel your research is at a sufficient enough level to give you a well rounded roster, head to as many shops as realistically possible and try all the items on your list out.

Keep an eye out for other basses that meet the criteria you set forth earlier as sometimes your research isn't all encompassing and things can slip through the cracks.

Keep needed accessories in mind for your budget. Strings, a case, tuner, metronome, any books you might want to learn off of, cables etc etc etc. These may seem small from a one by one basis but the cost can add up fast.

If your parents are paying for this. Make sure they come with you and are active in the testing. You want to build up confidence with them in your decision making abilities as much as possible. If they are musicians in themselves the better. Respect any criticism and opinions they have. You may need them to help out on a financial endeavor in the future and you sure as hell don't want to burn any bridges while you're young.

List pros and cons of each pieces of equipment tested and LEAVE THE STORE! Talk it over with the folks and think long and hard on it. Sleep on it for a night or two and make a firm decision. Return with your folks and make you purchase. Stand firm by your ultimate decision. Temptation and spontaneity can sometimes be a magical thing but lead to huge headaches and failure. Best to play it safe with what you know is right and stick to it.

Always have a plan B,C,D, etc. You may return and the sale which kept the bass within your budget is now over or sold or whatever prevents plan A and so on from working out. Have a backup plan and a backup plan to that backup plan.

I gave you some GC links to some basses off of what you threw on and are almost guaranteed to be in stock for testing. Except maybe that particular SRX. All of them at the time of this post are $299 at the time of this post. Hopefully this can help you on the right track and a starting point. AMPs are a whole other animal and you should check out the amp section for more info there. Drop back in and keep us posted on your progress. Take lots of pics when you finally pull the trigger. Welcome to the fold.

Good luck and Rock on! :bassist:
    -Chris

6. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    I've played these are they are amazing for the money you should try them. However, I've never, ever played a bad Yamaha no matter where in the range they were, they just don't make a bad instrument of any sort IMO. If you like the Yammy sound then go for that, but do try some others if you can just for peace of mind.